So after much research and contemplation, a plan has been devised for the bed on my '53 3100.

From the beginning I had some items I wanted...

1) Flat top rail so a had roll up bed cover can be installed.
2) Tailgate with a modern lockable latch
3) Custom tail lights
4) Use the existing heavy channel iron bumper

What I had to work with...

The entire floor of the existing bed was gone, only the heavily rusted rear cross sill remained, the two center and front cross sills were gone. The lower third of the front panel was rusted off. The bed angles were heavily rusted and there was some rust through of the bed sides at the bed angles. The tail gate was intact, but the lower roll was heavily pitted.

On a side note, the cab and front of the truck have hardly any rust at all. The truck was parked for years halfway under a shed, the front half out of the weather and the bed, with hay and feed sacks in it, was exposed to the weather.

The plan...

I purchased all the cross sills, stake pockets, angles and strips from Mar-K. A local sheet metal shop is going to make the bed sides and front panel. The bed sides will be reproductions of the originals with the top rail flat, instead of angled. The bed will end up being about 16" deep, instead of the approx. 14" original, because the flat tops with the side edge roll being at about the same location as original. The front panel will the similar to the original, just a bit taller to match the sides and the top will be broken square instead of rolled like the original.

The custom tail lights are still being considered. Right now the thought is to repurpose the existing bed's front stake pockets as extensions of the new rear stake pockets to provide space for mounting tail light assemblies from 73-79 F-100. (I know, Ford parts on a Chevy, I may burn for that one...LOL) My concern is how the lines and shape of the tail lights will work with the lines and shape of the bed. It must look like it belongs there...not just some junk bolted on.

We will wait to fabricate the tailgate after the bed is assembled. The plan is to make a double walled tailgate, so a latch assembly from a 99-07 chevy stepside can be used. The third brake light will be in the top center of the tailgate. The "CHEVROLET" in the original tailgate will be cut out and welded into the new tailgate, but lower and to the right, instead of centered.

Finally, the bumper will be modified a bit on each end, to curve around and meet the rear fenders on the sides. I am going to replace the running boards because the ends are rusted and the outside edges are bent, so the metal on the tops of the existing running boards will be used to fill in the space between the bumper and the back/sides of the bed, sort of making a step that appears similar the running boards.

Progress so far...

I used the sills, stake pockets, angles and strips (along with two 1x4's cut to 77" long) to mock up the bed layout on the frame of the truck. This allowed me to take measurements that I could not due to rusted away portions on the existing bed.

The existing bed is disassembled and measurements have been marked on a bed side and the front panel to be used as patterns by the sheet metal shop. All that is ready to go as soon as they tell me they are ready to do the work.

Other items...

I am trying to decide if I want to try to repair the fenders or purchase replacements. There is rust on both where they meet the running boards and both had a number or dents and edge dents.

The fuel tank is going to be relocated to inside the frame, behind the rear axle. I would like to locate the fuel filler in the driver side fender, behind the rear wheel. Still considering how to fabricate that.

I also plan to install side marker lights in the rear and front fenders. Considering 68-72 Chevy pickup side marker lamps for these.

I know this was long, if you made it to the end and still awake, congratulations! LOL

Tim


'53 3100 5-window
'57 Mercury Monterey 2-Door Sedan
Tim H