Now that the holidays are over, I have done a little more work on the custom bed.

I made a cardboard mock-up of the tail light housings we are going to build from the old front stake pockets.

http://www.timjharrisphoto.com/53chevy3100/eafa95ad

After I had made the mock-up, all the latch parts for the tailgate arrived. I am using the latch parts from a 99-07 Chevrolet Stepside because the width of that tailgate is 49.0625", the '53 bed is 50" wide. This will allow for the sheet metal of the tail light housings to wrap inside the bed and weld up for both reinforcement and a clean appearance.

Also, after all the latch parts arrived, we laid them out and began working on plans for the custom tailgate. Following some discussion, we decided to not go with the original build from scratch idea, but try to find a 99-07 Chevrolet Stepside tailgate. It turned out to be easier to find, and a lot cheaper, than I had thought it would be.

The plan is now to cut the CHEVROLET out of the original '53 tailgate and weld it into the new 99-07 tailgate in a lower right position. Then it will just be a matter of trimming and fitting to make it function and look like it belongs there.

We also discussed putting the third brake light in the top center of the tailgate...I'm not totally sold on that idea yet.

So now I am just waiting on my sheet metal friend to say he is ready to stamp out and form the bed sides.



'53 3100 5-window
'57 Mercury Monterey 2-Door Sedan
Tim H