That just sounds odd. When I brought mine home from Marietta, GA, I told them (U-Haul exactly what I was hauling, and what I was using to pull it with. No problems at all, other than they couldn't find the records of where I had reserved the trailer (had them call my local U-Haul rep, no problem after that). I would think if you tell the you're hauling something different that what you are really hauling, that will cause you major problems getting compensated should a problem arise. Say, if you were hauling your GMC, but told them it was an Escort, all they're going to compensate you for is an Escort. Or worse, you could end up with nothing, as they could easily say that you "overloaded" a trailer with a heavy truck instead of the lightweight compact you claimed was on there. Honesty really is in the best interest of both parties.