I had a 1967 Impala convertible with a 283, powerglide. It left the factory with the replaceable cartridge oil filter. I remember counter people at the parts store asking if he wanted an adapter to switch over to a spin on filter and he always would tell them no. I do not remember actually changing that type of filter for it was so long ago and was the only car I ever had that did not have a spin on filter.

Nor did I ever put an adapter on to convert filter types.

Though I have seen old spin on filter gaskets stick to the engine and not be noticed. Thus the new filter will not seat properly and the oil leaks out pretty fast.

So as said check for a double gasket and then check if the adapter was put on correctly.

Last edited by 32vld; 06/29/2015 1:35 PM.