All good points.
Just a .75 OD ratio will only gain about 15 mph, not going to be real speedy even if it had plenty of power. And otherwise with the first 4 gears will drive just as it does know. The OD would be handy on moderate down hill and level, but if it struggled to pull any given hill in high gear now there's no way you could do it in OD either.
This is the first week that we have the truck on the road. We have only stayed on the local roads close to the house.
One of the first things we found out is that the speedometer does not work. I disconnected the speedometer cable and found the housing had no cable in it. So a new cable and housing have been ordered.
I do not remember the source but it said that the 1946 2 ton with the governor has a top speed of 48 mph. That the governor reduced top RPM 200. Though someone had already taken the throttle plate out of the governor.
Until I get the speedometer straightened out. Or a get a GPS will I know how fast this truck will go.
So how much more speed will 200 more RPM's get me?
I do not want to make this a 70 MPH truck. And if I did the resources are not there to get it.
And, I have been around enough old autos to know that they will not hold their speed up a steep grade.
Though if an OD could get another 15 MPH that would take me to a top speed of 63. Though my son would be happy if he could do 50 - 55 with the pedal still off of the floorboards.
My son has no plans to mod this truck so it is going to stay stock for the time being.