I planned to put this in the Engine Stand thread we had already started, but it appears to be closed. 12Port had made an adapter plate for the standard 2-3/8 round stock used for the head of most engine stands. Then, Harbor Freight changed the round stock for their new ones to 3 inches. So 12Port, if you want to sell them to people for the new engine stands, the correct OD number is standard 3 inches. For those of you who want to make one yourself, I am attaching a bunch of pictures on how to do it.

First off, use a bell housing for your template. Its so easy to transfer using a piece of 11x17 Chipboard like this:

http://devestechnet.com/Images/Projects/Project1959235/Project59235330lg.jpg

This is done by just using a ball peen hammer to tap all the way around and in the holes until it breaks loose.

Transfer the pattern to a 1/2" x 11 x 13 or so piece of plate steel. There are two pins near the bottom, use a 7/16 drill bit for that, and 1/2" for everything else. This way, if you are off a hair, and you will be, the holes still line up nicely.

I wanted a 3 inch hole all the way through the plate because I want to weld the CRAP out of that round stock. To do that, placing it through the hole, beveling the end to get a larger weld area, then weld it flush, but also weld the entire back side too will ensure you have a strong setup. Have you ever used a Bi-Metal 3 inch hole saw to drill thru 1/2 inch Plate?

http://devestechnet.com/Images/Projects/Project1959235/Project59235332lg.jpg

My Porta-Band just barely had the throat depth to do this. I got real lucky there.

http://devestechnet.com/Images/Projects/Project1959235/Project59235335lg.jpg

The round stock is 3 inch DOM with 5/16" walls. I found it in a scrap pile at the local welding shop. I like the thickness.

http://devestechnet.com/Images/Projects/Project1959235/Project59235337lg.jpg

This is as far as I got today. The bevel is complete for the welding process and its ready for welding. It has been tested and should work very nicely.

http://devestechnet.com/Images/Projects/Project1959235/Project59235340lg.jpg

Once this is done, I can move on to cleaning the engine for paint. If you want to use spacers, I found the local hardware store has the 7/16" x 1/2" spacers with allen screw for about $1.50 each. 6 of those and you can even keep your bolts on the mount and they won't come off.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet