I had this problem with the 235, the engine would backfire through the carb with enough force to slam the choke shut, bending the cable, even after having the carb rebuilt. Last year, I put in a 216. The 216 wouldn't run with my Carter carb, so I put on the Rochester that came with it. It ran well until a couple of weeks ago when the same thing began to happen.
Just to see, I opened up the Carter and there was some grit in there. I cleaned out all the passages and put it back together. In the shop manual, it shows a linkage between the accelerator pump and the metering rod lever. On mine, the lever just rests on top of the pump.
I put theCarter back on with an inline filter and it started right up and idled nicely. When I started to move the truck, it was the same old same old.
I had two toughest on this; maybe dirt from the fuel system OR could it be related to the manifolds? When I changed the engine, I reused my manifolds because the heat riser is functional and the bolts were free enough to put in new gaskets. Having replaced the whole engine, those are the only things that were reused.
Any thoughts?