Following various suggestions, I started with the easiest things first. I pulled the plugs and checked the gaps. They look good, maybe a bit lean, but I was having fuel issues as well (see yesterday's post). The wires looked like crap, so I put on a better set I had, then took a closer look at the distributer. It was easier to replace it with a known good one I had on hand. I static timed it and the engine started right up, idles OK, but won't rev. When I open the throttle, the vacuum advance sends the timing to the starting position. I plugged the vacuum line to the HydroVac just to see if there was any difference, but there wasn't.
Someone mentioned sticky valves. I had the valve cover off and the oil was running out of the weep holes on most of the rocker arms, but not for #1 or #2.
The big question: should I investigate further or save up my $ for a better engine? This one is borrowed until I can replace the 235 that let loose on me last year.
Just a little background, I'm talking about a '46 Chevy 6400 that I use on my farm. It may see 2,000 miles in a busy year and most of them are easy running, but sometimes she does have to do a bit of real work.
Thanks for your thoughts.