What direction is only up to you, it is your truck.

For my own truck I drove for a long time stock with exception of a couple years newer 235. They're fun and useful just as they are, you don't really have to change anything at all.

For my next truck or improvements on the now sad looking 52 I have a different plan.
Original appearance, body, interior and so on, on the original frame and likely springs to.
I have a later model 14 bolt rear axle from a cab and chassis that is the perfect width, need to change spring perches. I'll either run the existing drum brakes from the dualy C&C, or swap to single wheel brake drums (less dish) and move backing plates out, or disc brake kit (common and cheap but not with parking brake).
For the front I have an assortment of parts and pieces to use P-30 spindles, different single wheel hubs/rotors... simpler for someone else would be the now available disc brake kit (check swap meet section).
Engine I have a Detroit Diesel 3-53T ready and waiting, will require a different crossmember for the rear mounts but otherwise I don't think any modifications to the truck frame or body.
Behind that I have a Spicer 5 speed overdrive. And behind that a Spicer 4 speed auxiliary overdirve (probably unnecessary but why not, it'll be interesting and fun).
Steering I will keep manual but swap in a very nice low mile 2 ton steering gearbox I already have, and I believe it is a slower ratio, so sort of power steering at the expense of more cranking.
Brakes I'll use a hydrobooster and dual circuit MC.


Again, it is your truck to do as you wish. If you're not sure then I strongly suggest fixing it up with little to no changes (you may need another used running GMC engine, can be had pretty cheap) and driving it as it is for a good while, you'll figure out for yourself if you want to make any changes and why or why not.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-