This is going to seem pretty stupid but here goes because I really want to get this right. This one ton is clean, straight and rust free and has great aged original paint and beautiful sign painters art on the doors and I don't want to do anything short sighted.
Did I understand that it would be a viable option to change the engine, trans, rear end but keep the original brakes, wheels, suspension? Could you safely stop at higher speeds and handle at higher speeds? After all, one of the reasons I'd considered swapping to a new chassis in the first place was lack of available brake components. I'd love to keep the truck on it's original frame. I understand the 84 Chevy one ton rear end is pretty much a bolt on improvement but that a front end swap is another matter-the 84 front is supposed to be much too wide. I apologize for the rambling but I have the dreaded new truck fever.