Hi there everyone-I'm a new bolter that needs some help with the general direction of my current project-a one ton flatbed 1949 GMC. It has an engine/transmission but is not running and may be seized. I've got marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes and I'm giving it some time to work.
Here's where I'm stuck: I've read that one ton brake parts are very hard to come by and it needs them. Then there's the 45mph top speed. I'd like to use this truck as a general work truck and use it often with some highway driving.
Do I keep the 228 engine and get it redone and then look for a different rear end and trans? I have a 1984 one ton chevy dually with 454 and auto that is an available donor. Do I put the drive train from the 1984 into the 1949 one ton? Or transplant the 1949 GMC body to the other chassis? I'm not a welder/fabricator yet and need some sound advice. Thanks in advance. Tim
Hi Tim
We are both building the same truck...well sorta...mine is a 53 thou..I started with a plan of keeping it original and that lasted about a week when I had to cut brake drums off to get them off...thus the new plan...On mine I will be changing and upgrading everything from the frame rails down...disc brakes with a 1/2 ton front axle and I also swapped out the 8 lug antique rear-end with a more modern 1985 K5 Chevy Blazer rear end....
I agree 45mph in this day an age you are asking for trouble...in my neck 55 mph and up is the norm now...I will be trying to keep everything above the frame rails as stock as possible...except I will be doing a 12 volt wiring harness with electric wipers...
Good luck and post up some pictures when you get a chance...gotta love the looks of these smelly old Chevy trucks...
MikeC