Originally Posted by diseasel
Great read on the 14 bolt and differences between 1 ton and 3/4 widths and applications http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/

only took me a day to install one under my truck. Why downgrade to a 6lug toothpick axle when you can upgrade to a near direct fit 14 bolt?

Hi Diseasel

It only took me maybe a full day (4 or 5 nights) to swap out the antique 1952/53 rear end with the freebie 1985 K5 Blazer...cutting and moving perches and cutting out old broken leaf springs...

I found a 1/2 ton front axle with spindles for a decent price and I already had the 6 lug front hubs...I am also swapping out the 1 ton front springs and hangers with 1/2 ton stuff too...still need all new brake parts and brake lines installed

For me I am basically turning the 1 ton into a 1/2 ton...I want ease of parts availabity too...I want to also upgrade the front wheel bearings to more modern roller bearings which most of the current vendors all sell now...

On a side note a 1/2 ton truck is more desired (in my neck) from a resale standpoint than a 1 ton...I always have in the back of my mind if I had to sell it quickly I could better with 1/2 ton stuff on it...and I dont typically hang onto my stuff for very long....I bore really easy....

So guys thanks for all the input...I am enjoying this so far...I toil away almost every-night on my project...:)

MikeC

Last edited by mikec4193; 01/16/2015 6:55 PM.

1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)