Need a new battery? Checked & cleaned all wiring connections?

What flywheel does it have on it (if it's not the one it's supposed to have)? Post the engine casting codes if you want to be sure it's a truck engine; someone can decipher the code for you.

A new flywheel ring is cheaper than a new flywheel. I have also seen 'new' starters installed to where they did not fully seat up into the bell housing. That would cause some cavities in the flywheel teeth, for sure. But it wouldn't sound like a growl.

Man, I hope you can get it figured out- I'm just bouncing ideas around so you don't leave your wife pushing that big truck anymore. One last one- can you turn the engine over by hand? I don't know, but if it is intermittently growling, there may be a tight spot in the engine.

Brad

Last edited by ClaudeTheTruck; 11/11/2014 6:58 AM. Reason: spell my name correct

Wrench Fetcher, PhD