Okay folks -

Howdy to one and all, hope this note finds you all in fine fettle! Waltzing Matilda, our 1 ton 47 chevy has been doing okay. But, BUT there's a fly in the ointment!

I don't drive her that much, but a while ago, the starter was "growling" - like it had an internal short, or the armature was dragging. Very slow to turn, very high current draw. It would do this a few times, then - no problem. Intermittent as hell! Finally, one day the truck left the Missus stranded at the welding shop. She was *NOT HAPPY* about trying to push start the leviathan... I replaced the starter and everything was fine, for a few weeks - then the same problem! I check voltage drops on everything - hell, there just isn't that much there! I replaced various parts with spares on hand, it would start fine several times... then the growl.

Out of frustration, I took it to our mechanic - he LOVES old iron (though he may rethink this now) Anyway, the flywheel was chewed up and it apparently had the wrong flywheel on the engine. The starter drive only would engage about 1/8". It chewed up the ring gear. So, here we are.

The engine in the truck is a 12 volt 1960 235 (as near as I can tell) The flywheel it is SUPPOSED to have is a 168 tooth FW, with 9 holes in the center hub - 3 sets of two bolt holes and one for a dowel pin. The center hole in the flywheel is 2". The apparent GM part number is 3705410. Does anyone have one of these beasts or knows where I can get one? I am in Northern California, and would appreciate any illumination all y'all can share.

The PO, or the PO PO had apparently installed this later engine, not knowing (or caring) that the starter didn't match the flywheel. The truck wasn't running when we got it, so the PO/POPO may never have even known.

When I replaced the starter, the old one looked okay. The drive teeth were a bit chewed up, but it didn't look that bad. The starter was not that old, so that should have been a tip off....

Any ideas?

TIA,

John