Originally Posted by stoveboltgator
There are 3 quotes that I always remember when it comes to the subject of brakes:

1. "Your brake is your best friend"

2. "You can live with a truck that won't go... you can DIE with a truck that won't stop"

3. "Brakes are NOT optional equipment"

Your post caught my attention because I saw the location. A teenager driving in your locality (phx, where I have been several times) better have the best braking system you can possibly have... and bear in mind that most young people have no experience driving with non-power brakes. The pedal and response are entirely different.

I would rebuild the original ALL NEW and then train that young man extensively on how to stop that vehicle, and not let him venture out on to the road out there without his having proven that he's up to the task. I learned to drive in S. Fla. and the environments are very similar.

I hear you. We have talked about this pretty extensively. He doesn't even have his permit yet and has just driven our "modern" vehicles in the neighborhood. So, hopefully he will be learning to drive in the old truck. The drive to school will be more for show than anything else. It's just around the corner.

I taught him how to ride dirt bikes and now he is an incredibly talented rider. I'm hoping I can do the same with driving. But these days, it's all about the inattentive drivers, so it's more likely someone will run into him than the other way around.

Fingers crossed and prayers welcome!

Last edited by The Hill Boys; 05/24/2014 4:22 AM.

Ron and Ryan Hill
1952 Chevy 3100