I've looked at the 292 piston, but it has a dished top, and I'm looking for something with a dome to fill up some of that huge Model A combustion chamber. The block I'm dealing with is virtually junk, and has been bored out .060" or more, and then severely rusted. I believe it will need to be sleeved on all cylinders to use a 3 7/8" piston, either standard bore or with any of the usual oversizes. The .125" oversize 283 piston will have the right compression height, and a big dome will increase the compression to where I'd like it to be. If the experiment fails, at least it's an "outside the box" attempt to saving an otherwise useless piece of scrap iron. I'm also thinking about an attempt to fit a Mercruiser Marine 4 cylinder overhead valve cylinder head to the engine, since I've got a couple of them stashed away. If I go that route, a flat top piston would be more appropriate. That Model A crankshaft isn't much to brag about, with no counterweights and a very spindly cross-section. There were several OHV conversions for Model T and Model A engines such as the Rajo and Frontenac back in the 1920's and 30's before the flathead V8 got to be the preferred hotrod engine swap.
Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 04/20/2014 8:21 PM.