Brad, you are right about having the rig to haul them and don't forget a way to load/unload them. I use a 20'+4' dovetail gooseneck dual tamdom, rated for 20,000# behind a 3/4 ton 7.3 diesel.
Last one I bought was in KC and it had six brand new Firestones on it, still had the nips on every tire. 1948 1-1/2 or 2-Ton with hoist and steel bed. Seller was a college student and sold us the whole rig for about 1/3 the price of the tires.
Already have the truck sold for what I paid for it, less tires, when I get them off and rolling rubber on.
John got to watch me load a 48 3/4 ton on the goose last Reunion, without brakes and with out a winch. It was not pretty.
So, I bought a 12,000 winch to mount on the front of the goose that should be installed by this summer and also be able to move it over to the little 16', tag-a-long car hauler.
Don't know yet what we'll bring to KC this Sept.
If you have a way to move them and don't go small on the rig, have cash, you can find some good deals, just to get them out of peoples way. They are few and far between, but you have to be ready.
Don