Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59),
190
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,176 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | That looks very good to me too. I have replaced wheel ends on larger trucks without removing the axle housing by cutting out the damage wheel end and fitting a good used wheel end and aligning it by removing the third member and inserting axle shafts on both sides and aligning the wheel end by seeing that both axle shafts met in the middle and welding her up. Probably not near as accurate as your method, but it was the best we could do without a lathe big enough to swing an axle housing. And 30 or 40 years we did the best we could. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Great writeup and pictures, thanks!
I've seen a couple folks do about the same thing you just did, works out well as far as I know.
What did you do for axle shafts? You need the old flange end at the wheel hub, and the new splines in the center. Did new ones fit the old hubs without modification?
What do you have planed for front disc brakes?
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 22 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 22 | good work man. VERY interested to see how this pans out..  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 | Probably not near as accurate as your method, but it was the best we could do without a lathe big enough to swing an axle housing. And 30 or 40 years we did the best we could. I only decided to turn down the old axle after cutting it off and seeing how thick it was, i would be lying if i expected it to be that thick... i had originally planned on just beveling them both and welding them up with a sleve on the inside.. which sounds like would have worked fine.. Great writeup and pictures, thanks!
I've seen a couple folks do about the same thing you just did, works out well as far as I know.
What did you do for axle shafts? You need the old flange end at the wheel hub, and the new splines in the center. Did new ones fit the old hubs without modification?
What do you have planed for front disc brakes?
Grigg the axles from the dana worked with a slight modification.. all i had to do was take a carbide bit and open the holes inward about .025 the bolt circles were about .050 difference just enough so the bolts wouldn't go in as far as the front disk conversion goes.. im throwing some ideas around in my head... unfortunately i dont know if i will get to it this year.. my truck has to go to storage for the winter soon.. Thanks everyone for the positive feedback | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 126 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 126 | Looks great! Thought about doing the same thing when I worked for American Axle and had the use of the equipment there. But since i cant, I stand in awe of your work. Awsome!!!!! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | ...as far as the front disk conversion goes.. im throwing some ideas around in my head... Here's one of several approaches to for front disc brakes I've seen, and still my favorite/preferred method for these trucks. http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bigbolts/p30swap/Grigg | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Hey I found my way into your photobucket and looked at the entire project. That looks like a fun project!
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 | ...as far as the front disk conversion goes.. im throwing some ideas around in my head... Here's one of several approaches to for front disc brakes I've seen, and still my favorite/preferred method for these trucks. http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bigbolts/p30swap/Grigg Yeah i have read your article.. and looked into one of those trucks.. cheapest i could find was 2,000 which doesnt go well with my virtually zero budget... not to mention i think my parrents and neighbors would freak out if i brought home another big truck... so i will tackle it on my low budget approach... Hey I found my way into your photobucket and looked at the entire project. That looks like a fun project! Sneaky man... Hope you liked it... i haven't posted it here.. didn't know how well it would be received on a more restoration type forum
Last edited by CORPO; 09/09/2009 4:02 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | That's a neat project, definately not too many big bolts that have been done up like that. It's not so much about restoring them as it is giving them new life and a chance to keep on the road for many years to come. You'll probably get on around here a LOT better than I did on the HAMB with my Volksrod,... Yeesh! 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 | That's a neat project, definately not too many big bolts that have been done up like that. It's not so much about restoring them as it is giving them new life and a chance to keep on the road for many years to come. You'll probably get on around here a LOT better than I did on the HAMB with my Volksrod,... Yeesh! Thanks man, i wanted to do something different. I have never been a registered member at the hamb.. i have read a couple of builds that were sent to me by other people.. and i just can not stand how they talk to each other over there. It doesnt seem to matter how good of a job some one is doing, people will find a reason to hate on it.. I say as long as its safe, build it how you want! | | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | i just can not stand how they talk to each other over there. It doesnt seem to matter how good of a job some one is doing, people will find a reason to hate on it.. Ya gotta have some thick skin over there at times. But hey just consider the source & not everyone over there is like that And I don't care what anyone says I'm diggin your ride, you should really post your link to the pics....Joe | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 126 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 126 | Exactly why I quit using the site also. Here your truly welcome. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 126 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 126 | When I first mentioned my first bolt idea over there of z-cutting the original chassis of the cabover and adding tandam axles, the response was the same but it seems at that time the past time was to insult any and all. More insult than tech. Enjoy the stovebolt. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 | Ya gotta have some thick skin over there at times. But hey just consider the source & not everyone over there is like that And I don't care what anyone says I'm diggin your ride, you should really post your link to the pics....Joe no one has actually hated on it yet, if they have hated on it they havent said anything to me.. but im pretty sure it wouldnt go over well on the hamb When I first mentioned my first bolt idea over there of z-cutting the original chassis of the cabover and adding tandam axles, the response was the same but it seems at that time the past time was to insult any and all. More insult than tech. Enjoy the stovebolt. Well its good to know you guys are open minded to new ideas | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | As a group we're pretty friendly, but don't be surprised or offended if someone doesn't like it, just ignore them and keep posting cause some of us want more!
I like the HAMB but am selective what I post there. I avoid mention of my Corvette or my wife's VW. My trucks don't seem to excite anyone either way.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | As a group we're pretty friendly, but don't be surprised or offended if someone doesn't like it, just ignore them and keep posting cause some of us want more! I'll second that, Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | That is some really great work!  | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | Yeah, I got in on some conversation about "those durned crazy VW guys and thier "Volksrods"". ALong with the typical ignorants goin on about the Hitler wagons and supporting Nazism, etc., there's just a general hate of anything not made on our shores. I get that, but some folks, like me, put real work into hand building our cars from the ground up. Not bolt on rigs or fancy shop built, but real life back yard hot rodding like it's supposed to be. I held a short lesson on the real story behind the make (shut a few of em up), had my say, and after finding the Bolt, never went back. I know there's good folks on the HAMB, but the average treatment here is much better. Has a lot to do with our gracious management and mods I'm sure, but still.  Keep us updated on your build, I like what I see and you did some great work on the frame mods. More solid work than I see on some rigs! 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | Keep posting on your project, everyone looks through a different window but we all like to look out our windows. The HAMB is a interesting place to say the least, but I will say if you need non Stovebolt help its a good place to get it...esp when you have a flathead f**d thats giving you grief. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 | Awsome Idea, It just goes to show, anything can be done if you put your mind to it. Nice Job! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 | thanks man, hopefully the front disk conversion goes as well | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 186 | | | |
| |