The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dennys28, Oswald, Shade Baby), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#116098 10/26/2003 5:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
Brewster green?

Is this an example of "Brewster Green". You see so many colors out there on trucks how's a guy supposed to know what the names of the original colors actually look like? Would this be an example of Brewster Green? If anybody else can share pictures of what they know to be pretty close to the original colors of their art deco trucks I would appreciate it. It think it will make it much easier when deciding what color to go with for myself and others who may be restoring to original.
Don't know who owns this truck or even where I got the picture but it looks beautiful!

Thanks!

Thanks
Tim


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
#116099 10/26/2003 3:35 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
The page won't open for me....
Whatever you do, don't go by the color you see on your computer monitor...BIG differences. I think you have to see the sample color you like in natural sunlight to get a good idea.

#116100 10/26/2003 4:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
The current PPG code for Brewster Green is 43645. It will cost you some to get a small amount made up, but at least you will know exactly what it looks like!

#116101 10/27/2003 8:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
I will second RussNtussin. I used to mix automotive paint. I even took some classes on mixing and Tinting paint. Lighting can make all the difference. If you think I am joking go to on of your supermarkets that uses the Orange Lights for their parking lot. Just walk around and look at the cars you will soon see one that has had some body work done. Under these gas Lights (orange) you can easily spot mis matched paint jobs but in the sun you may be hard pressed to see them at all. One of the best examples of this was at the DuPont Paint Class. They pulled out this 2'X 2' piece of metal that was painted one color. Then they placed a large divider over the piece of metal that divided this example into 4 triangles. Then they lite each section with a different type of lighting. Such as incondesent, Flourecent, Hallogen and an artifical sunlight. Well that piece that was one color turned into 4 totally diffent colors.

So good luck


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#116102 10/28/2003 2:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
That link is inoperative.

Brewster Green is a dark green, almost black looking in certain lights.

I have matched it at my local paint shop, but do not have a PPG number for it.

Brian, are you sure on that number?

#116103 10/28/2003 2:24 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
PPG?? PPG!!?? Dupont is the only PAINT worth spraying!!!!! grin

Just kidding......


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
#116104 10/28/2003 10:33 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Maybe take the PPG number to a DuPont dealer and get it cross-referenced?
Kook, that number came from Bob Adler, I assume it is correct, he calls it brewster green medium. But no other brewster greens are listed.

#116105 10/28/2003 11:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
V
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
here's a pretty cool website that might help. It's still not the same, looking at color chips on a computer. But it's fun to check out.

autocolorlibrary.com


1959 3200 Apache Fleetside
In the Legacy Gallery
#116106 10/29/2003 3:55 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
The chip page is exactally what I am looking for a a basic guide to help get me started. I visited the chem stripper in my area today and I'm getting pretty pumped up now about getting close to picking a color.

[img]http://photos.yahoo.com/sheridantnm[/img]

http://photos.yahoo.com/sheridantnm


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
#116107 10/30/2003 8:13 PM
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
The modern offset number for Brewster Green I got from PPG in '97 is 43835. (similar to Brian's number, his has a 6 in the middle, mine an 8 ?) Add the appropriate prefix to that number for the kind of paint you are using. I think John had posted all the modern color offsets somewhere in the tech. info. here when I had gotten them.


To be long remembered as he's cruising in
The Passing Lane
#116108 11/01/2003 6:22 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 22
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 22
Can anyone tell me if Brewster Green was a color available in '54 on a 6400? My dad remembers ordering a '54 semi tractor (6400) in Brewster Green. "Old Earl" is my 54 6400 project and I'd like to try this green if it is appropriate. Mainly 'cause that is the green Dad remembers. I'm impressed that he remembers a color of a truck that he ordered (one of several dozen - no doubt) for a feed mill 50 years ago.


John Clawson
1954 6400 "Ol' Earl"
1954 6400 Chevy
#116109 11/01/2003 6:45 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
You will have to cut and paste this link to make it work. If you just click on it you will get an error message.

http://community.webshots.com/s/image1/2/53/74/26625374kMpsZGVLJA_fs.jpg

#116110 11/06/2003 3:10 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
I think I finally got my pictures link to work.

http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]

It's the last picture in the truck album that was what I am questioning if it looks like Brewster green. brewster green in last truck picture?


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
#116111 11/06/2003 5:36 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
John,

Chevrolet documents do not list Brewster Green as a factory option color for 1954 trucks or Sedan Delivery.

The "standard" color in 1954 was Juniper Green (DuPont Dulux 93-72001) and it is the closest 1954 green (In apprearance) to Brewster Green. Look at Ralphy's posting in this forum (1951-1954 Truck Colors Plus).

I have found PPG to be better in having "recipes" for older colors.

Tim


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0