Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 | Hi I just bought a 1951 GMC tanker truck. The owner doesn't know a lot about the truck other than he bought it from the sheriff dept. he says he's used it before for wetting down horse arenas. I'm not sure if it is a 1 1/2 ton or 2 ton. I haven't brought it home yet but he didn't think it had the identification plate. on the title it has a vin # of HC45311417. I used the vin buster and it only came back with chassis and cab, everything else was unknown. The p.o. wants the tank, I want to turn it into a flatbed farm truck. Any info would be greatly appreciated! 51 GMC | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy radioisotope, your truck left the factory with a 161" wheelbase and a 270 c.i.d. engine. You might also try visiting the Old GMC truck site, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | A 450 series is larger than a 2 ton. The cab is the same as a pickup but the front clip is larger than a pickup and also larger than a 2 ton which is a 300 series. It will be a good flat bed, and it left the factory as a cab and chassis. The tank would have been mounted by a tank manufacturer. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the vin buster is for Chevys, doesn't work for GMC's .... 450 series - '51 conventional cab model 453, basically a 1.5T but could have a higher GVW Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 | Thanks for all the great info guys! So its a 1.5 ton not a 3 ton like I was thinking? How would I know whaat the gvw is? I hope I don't have to have a CDL to drive it?!! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Nope, not a 1 1/2 ton. A 1 1/2 ton GMC is a 300 series. 2 ton 350 series, 2 1/2 ton 400 series, 3 ton 450 series, & 3 1/2 ton 470 series. You have a 450 series 3 ton. GMC rated gvw on that truck is 19500 lbs. Look for the ID plate in the driver door jamb, & the "GMC Parts Identification" plate on the back of the glove box lid. It will be on both these plates. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 | Thanks guys I've been getting all kinds of info tonight. I also checked out the oldgmctruck forum, which helped. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Nice truck!! another "tanker" was posted on "here",a couple of months back,but the difference was the "Dayton" wheels. That truck was also equipped with an automatic transmission. someone on that thread said that "it was common",to find "auto's",in "tank wagons",of that era. Is your truck equipped with an automatic transmission? | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | That's a beautiful truck! Can you send us an email at " [email protected]" we'd like to get that truck (and nice photo, too -- it would look nice in the Big Bolt and GMC calendars) and your story in our Gallery (see the links at the top of the page). And by the way, those double hooded arrow turn indicators are worth a few bucks, so don't let anything happen to them  Regards, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 | Nice truck!! another "tanker" was posted on "here",a couple of months back,but the difference was the "Dayton" wheels. That truck was also equipped with an automatic transmission. someone on that thread said that "it was common",to find "auto's",in "tank wagons",of that era. Is your truck equipped with an automatic transmission? Thanks, If I remember correctly it is a manual but I could be wrong. I'm going to pick it up next weekend so I'll find out more then. Automatic in a 51 truck, never heard of such a thing. Well I guess I learn something new everyday. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 24 | That's a beautiful truck! Can you send us an email at " [email protected]" we'd like to get that truck (and nice photo, too -- it would look nice in the Big Bolt and GMC calendars) and your story in our Gallery (see the links at the top of the page). And by the way, those double hooded arrow turn indicators are worth a few bucks, so don't let anything happen to them  Regards, John Thank you! I would be happy to send a pic. I thought those indicators seemed rare, at least I have seen them before. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 268 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 268 | Hi
I looked at the picture of your truck, and in my most humble opinion it "IS" a 450 series which makes it a 3 ton. The wheels on it are Motor Wheel six lug, hub pilot w/compression lugs and depending on tire size (8.25X20 or 9.00X20) either 7 or 7.5 X 20, 2 piece rims, w/outside locking ring (Not Widow makers).
The engine (if Gas) is a 270 with dome pistons and hemi-head. And either a Holly 660A1, 2 barrel or a Stromberg WW 2 barrel.
It could have Hydro-Vac brakes, Air Pack brakes (air over hydraulic) or straight Air Brakes.
I have been eye balling a 1952 GMC tanker myself and a 51 GMC 400 series tow truck, I already own (2)1952, 454-30 GMC's (302CID).
Is the ID plate still on the inside of the glove box door?
Your going to have lots of fun and a few headaches, in the end worth everyone.
More pictures please...:>)
Dance like no one is watching, Sing like no one is listening, Love like you've never been hurt.
1948 GMC FC101 1/2t Pickup w/270 and SM420 1948 GMC FC253 1t Factory 80"x9' Flatbed Dually 1948 Chevy COE 2 Ton 8'x15' Flatbed 1950 GMC 354-24 2 Ton 8'X12' Flatbed w/Dump Hoist 1953 GMC 454-30 3 Ton 8'x14' Flatbed w/Dump Hoist 1953 GMC 454-30 3 Ton Cab and Chassis 1942 Clarkator 6 MILL-44 Heavy Aircraft Tug 1942 Ford (9N) Moto Tug with 1/2 yard Loader 1947 Oliver OC3 HG-42 Tract-Crawler Bull Dozier w/6' Blade
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,079 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,079 | Okay, we've got Chris' truck in the Gallery and hope to hear from him as he makes his trek to get it mid-month! Check here for the details! Thanks guys for the additional info in helping ID the truck. Very cool.
Peggy
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | |
| |