The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (J Lucas, Eileen, Mike'sPlace), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59151 04/13/2006 8:50 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
Hi All,
Well I have been busy, I called all of the junk yards in the area and no one has a 67 to 72, 3/4 or one ton rear end. I had no idea that they were under such pressure to crush these older vehicles. The name Tom Meyers came up several times as I was searching this site but I never found contact information for him. So I have two questions. Does anyone know where I can get a 4:10 pumpkin out of a 67 -72 3/4 ton, or does anyone have contact information for Tom Meyers because I believe he might be able to help.
Thanks again for all the help I have received so far. I am having a blast learning new things!
Rick

#59152 04/13/2006 9:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
You may have to be a little more patient.

Finding one in 2 days isn't quite that easy.

They pop up on the swap meet here from time to time. Start looking for older junk yards and in your local "shopper rag," stop and ask when you see a 67-72 truck rusting away in someone's yard. Start asking around and one will pop up before long.

They aren't under any pressure to crush these older vehicles other than the fact that price of steel us up and an Eaton Rear End is very heavy with little demand on the parts side. It costs several hours of no skilled labor to pull it or is can be crushed for $50.

#59153 04/13/2006 11:53 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If this will make you feel any better, my hunt took over two years. In the meantime I bought a 4:57 as insurance in case I had to go the new gear upgrade route. Now I have my 4:10 and a 4:57 collecting dust. If you have a 3/4 rearend, it is most likely a 4:57 and a 4:10 is only a 10% improvement.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#59154 04/14/2006 2:07 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
Okay, now I am getting the picture. I live out
side of Washington D.C. and the junk yards between here and Richmond are linked, even the truck ones. They put my request on their wire and it turned up nothing, that was why I asked. I think what I am hearing is that this is not the way to find one, what I need to do is look in non traditional places. I got it. It does make me rethink my desire to keep the 8 lug 3/4 ton axle though. Rick

#59155 04/14/2006 3:04 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
tom meyers
miami oklahoma
work#918-542-3871
[email protected]

you should be able to get a hold of him,he is a great guy.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
#59156 04/14/2006 3:09 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
What is the difference between the 66 and 72 3/4 ton rearends. They both share the same trailing arms ?I have a 1966 3/4 ton 8 lug rearend not sure what gear is in it.I was saving it for a project,but found out i can't use it.I will sell it if it will work for you.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
#59157 04/14/2006 6:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
The mounting and shock brackets may be different,depending on if it's for leaf or coil spring,but the carrier will be the same.
All you have to do is pull both axle shafts out of the hubs about 8 inches,drop the driveline and remove the bolts holding the carrier into the front of the housing. (Be careful-it's VERY heavy!)You don't even have to jack up the truck. Wipe out the inside of the housing to get any contamination out,clean the gasket surfaces up and wash with brake cleaner,lay a bead of sealer(I use permatex Hi-Temp orange silicone)on the housing gasket surface,cut a couple of pieces of all thread about 2 inches long and thread them into the housing opposite from each other to align the carrier.Slide the new carrier assembly over the studs(It's good to have a friend help here),put a little sealer on the threads of all the bolts and install them,and run them down snug.Remove the 2 studs and install the remaining bolts then torque them all down in a crossover pattern,just like you do on wheels. Connect the driveline,re-install the axles and torque them down,fill with new gear oil(synthetic is good if the rear end has no obvious leaks) and you're done.(If you have time to let it sit for an hour or two after assembly before you fill it,it'll let the sealer cure up more completely.) I think I'm going to change mine over to synthetic lube this summer. A friend told me he changed to synthetic gear oil on his Dodge diesel's transmission,axles and transfer case and the lube temp dropped about 25 degrees on the rear end at highway speed,and it seems to me the benefits will increase the lower the gear ratio is.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
#59158 04/14/2006 7:00 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
You might have to do the seals after pulling the axles out. I did. But...the seals are like $7 a piece and readily available at most parts houses.

I also welded on my own shock mounts - my truck was not graced with rear shocks.

#59159 04/14/2006 7:01 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
also worse comes to worse, you can get the gears at Jim carters now.

#59160 04/18/2006 1:34 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Just in case you get looking for one of these "pumpkins", they come out the front of the housing. Some of the trucks used a different rearend and I think they were made by Dana. The automatic 3/4 Tons had the 410 ratios and I was told that they had coil springs.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#59161 04/19/2006 8:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 58
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 58
Rick:
I have a 3/4 ton carrier assembly sitting in my garage! I got it as a spare a couple of years ago and its just gathering dust. Also swapped out the ring and pinion gear for my 52 3/4 ton to a 3.90 Which should make it a little more interstate friendly. I am in Warrenton, just a hoot and a holler down the road from you. If you're looking for a complete rear axle assembly I also have one of those on my doner truck grin


Bubba
#59162 04/21/2006 4:24 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
Rick,
For a long time I thought changing my rear gearing was the answer. Then realized after doing some homework that an overdrive tranny is really the way to go. I installed a T5 with .63 OD and that got me to 2500 rpm's @ 80mph with a 4.57 rear. The whole swap cost me between $400-500.
Doing a 4.10 isn't going to get you much. Use an rpm calculator and you'll see what I'm talking about. At 60 mph you'll save around 300 rpm. Even a lousy .86 OD tranny would get you 450 rpm. Make it a .72 OD and now you're turning about 1000 rpm less than a 4.57 rear with 1:1 tranny.
rpm calculator
-David


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#59163 04/22/2006 12:39 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
T5 hybrid tranny and the different rear end ratios available.

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010333;p=1#000000


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0