Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 246 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 246 | I have a 1953 chevy truck that is converted to 12 volts..I'm not sure why I have to use a ballast resistor on a 12 volt coil ? Shouldn't it run just fine with a direct 12 volt wire straight to the coil since the truck is all 12 volts ?
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Sal,
Why do you need a ballast resistor? Well, just because (if you are using original style points).
I am sure someone will post all sorts of logical/technical/mythical reasons why GM (and maybe others) had/has this requirement, but, just be sure you have a resistor or you will burn out points.
You can either put a ballast resistor between the ignition lead and the coil, or, use a coil that has the resistance built in. Some people say use the resistor (rather than a resistor coil), so you can wire the starting circuit (to the coil) to run at a full 12v, and then once you have started, you run through the resistor to the coil.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Short answer? Current control. Longer response? Points and condenser are matched to control arcing. This is a function of Voltage and materials. If the condenser is too small it will pull material from one contact and deposit it on the other contact. If it is too big it will pull that material the other way. Either condition is bad and shortens the life of the points. So the engineers ran tests and calculations to make that combination work as long and as well as they could. At 6 Volts. Why do all that work over again when a "ballast" resister will do it for you? And.. they are cheap. Those points open and close 3 times every time that engine goes 1 revolution. And that engine goes around thousands of times every minute it is working. That is a lot of open and close for each mile. And they last for thousands of miles. So congratulations to the original engineers for getting it right all those years ago. So? Use that "ballast" resister and celebrate the work that went on before us. Now was that helpful? 
Last edited by Steve_H; 01/09/2014 11:01 PM.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | You had to go with reason, Steve
Why did they not specify/design a condenser and a coil that worked together at 12v without burning points?
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 | A cold engine does not have 12 volts available during cranking, more like 9V with the starter load on the battery. GM designed a "12 Volt" coil to function properly and deliver a hot spark during cranking, and installed the resistor to protect the points when the charging system voltage went to 14+ volts to keep the battery charged.
Mechanical points, even with a condenser in the circuit, can't handle more than about 5 amps of current flow without burning. If a "12 volt" coil is designed to protect the points during cruise with over 14 volts available, the ignition primary current flow during cold (or very hot) starting will not be sufficient to deliver a good spark. The result is a long cranking session, and no start due to insufficient voltage at the spark plugs.
Now, before some of you armchair experts accuse me of lying, I've fixed hundreds of "normal crank/hard start" situations by installing the proper combination of coil and ballast resistor with a bypass wire to provide full battery voltage to the coil during starting. The situation was caused by somebody installing the wrong coil and eliminating that "unnecessary" resistor. This is not some theoretical pipe dream I'm having! Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 01/10/2014 12:20 AM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 430 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 430 | I have been putting Bosch blue coils on vehicles for many years. I have them on tractors, Model T's, My 46 2-ton, forklifts in my shop that I have converted to 12V... The list goes on. If you want to buy something local have your local auto parts store look up a coil for an early 70's VW beetle. Any of the VW's from 1967 on would have been 12V and used an internal resisted coil.... You can also run a condenser from the same vehicle. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | I am converting my '52 to 12 volts. When I rebuilt the starter, I installed the starter switch with the ignition resistor bypass terminal in the event I decided to use a ballast resistor. But, my plans are to use an internal resistor coil and forgo the separate ballast resistor. Ballast resistor are known to fail and are the weak link in the system IMHO. If I have starting issues (which I don't expect at 12v) then I can switch to the ballast resistor and carry a spare in the glovebox. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | My 50' 3600 with a 235 converted to 12-volt runs the internal resistor coil, 4000 miles now with no burned points or starting issues? I just did not like the look of the external resistor on my firewall so went to the internal. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 | Forrest Gump's Mama had a saying about folks who use internal-resistor coils! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 144 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 144 | "Ballast resistor are known to fail and are the weak link in the system IMHO."
I'm not being a smart aleck, as I truly don't know, exactly does one diagnose a bad ballast resistor? Do you have insufficient voltage to crank?? | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | In all my years of driving I have had more condensers fail than ballast resisters. One of the former to zero of the latter. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | lefty1: Put a Volt meter on that ballast resister with the key on. Should read about 6 volts if good. 12 volts if bad. That is with the points closed.  tcleaderman: Profit! Motor company gets to sell you a new part.  To the question of internal resistance coil verses external ballast resister? I can think of only one reason that the external resister is better: Hotrod Lincoln has stated it very well. My reason? Beware, opinion time, ballast resister is easy to find, replace, and test. I don't think they fail any more often than the coil will. Disclosure: I have no scientific evidence to back up the longevity claim. Just experience. And mine might not be any thing like yours.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Wow Jerry that was really additive, just send us all a PM next time in regards to your myopic opinions. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Forrest Gump's Mama had a saying about folks who use internal-resistor coils! Jerry "My Mama always told me that miracles happen every day. Some people don't think so, but they do." | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | lefty1, so if you have a failed ballast resistor and you have the starter bypass switch, the symptoms are really classic. The engine will fire or start while cranking and then immediately die. I will attest to having the unfortunate experience of having a failed ballast resistor. They are not prone to failure but everything component is the possible site of failure.
I think the 12 volt design with the bypass switch was very clever. It always gave the best possible spark delivery at cranking time. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | In reading the post here I believe there is a small error in the post from Steve H. Resistors fail to an open condition, not shorted. So with key on (not in the start position), "0" volts will be the reading on the coil side of the ballast if it has failed. My opinion: I consider Hotrod Lincoln a living textbook on how old cars work.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | . . . . . My opinion: I consider Hotrod Lincoln a living textbook on how old cars work. Amen | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Does that change the fact that everyone running an internal resistor coil is stupid? Is it the intent of these forums to foster and support that type of behavior? If so the living legend should be very proud of himself and you for validating his behavior, well done. Quite simply the post was not additive to the discussion and he nor any of you are not qualified to render that judgement about anyone else here.
Last edited by Brad Allen; 01/11/2014 5:42 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,181 Red dot, center of chest ... | | Red dot, center of chest ... Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,181 | HotRod is correct.
There's a detail he left out, however. Without a ballast resistor, over time, metal will be transferred from the outside contact of the points to the inside contact (due to the heat caused by excess amperage as well as the opposing charges of the two contact surfaces. You actually end up with a cone shaped buildup on the inner point contact and a corresponding hole on the outer point contact.
Naturally, this changes the point gap, because the cone is closer to the edges of the hole than the flat surface surrounding it are to each other(which is what the points were gapped to). That can dramatically affect performance and even prevent starting.
The reason the ballast resistor was bypassed during cranking was to provide a higher voltage spark to the plugs, making it easier to "get the fire going". The combination of no heat and cold fuel required a hotter spark to ignite.
Once the motor is running, the plugs don't require as much voltage to ignite the fuel-air mixture because the environment is a high enough temperature to almost ignite the fuel without a spark.
The reason diesel engines don't use spark plugs is because the compression is so high that it generates sufficient heat to ignite the fuel without an ignition system. Of course, back in the old days they used to use "glow plugs" to help warm up the fuel air mixture until the motor was running. Compression was lower back then, and the engine needed a little help to get going. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | In all 'MY' years of driving I've had several ballast resistors fail. After the second time I just started carrying a spare with the extra set of points... I thought it was 'stupid' to spend more money than was needed on a part I couldn't fix or 'inexpensively' replace. (There was a clear price difference between a coil and a ballast resistor), I hope no one gets BH over that..
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | I have an external ballast resister on mine and it went bad in a very bad place. I had to troubleshoot it on the fly. It was an easy fix to just bypass it and down the road I went. I also don't like looking at the ballast resister on the firewall, but I am too cheap to replace a perfectly good coil (I had an extra ballast laying around). I'm trying to save my money so I can afford to buy more parts from Brad. If the coil goes bad, maybe he will have a good used one with the internal resistance. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Coils at NAPA that have internal resistor:
MPE IC277SB $22.50 ECH IC14 $31.95 MPE IC14SB $20.70
NAPA sells ballast resistors at prices starting at around $4.00
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | Ok, I have decided to use the ballast resister. Where would GM have mounted the resistor when the trucks went to 12v from factory? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 | Here's where the ballast resistor is mounted on my '55 3100. Upper right hand corner of pic.[URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/capnduane/media/55Chev634_zps52e17604.jpg.html]photobucket[/url] | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 | The resistor was usually mounted to the firewall about valve cover height or slightly above where it could get good airflow for cooling. Any resistor develops some heat- - - -that's why the housing is ceramic, to protect nearby parts from heat damage. If there was not a good reason for running a low-resistance primary winding in the coil for producing a hot spark during cranking, would GM have gone to the effort and expense of designing their ignition systems that way? I can't think of any manufacturer of any product that will choose to make their product more complex and expensive than necessary, and then produce millions of that product. Just because a few self-appointed experts have declared themselves to be more intelligent than the General Motors design engineering department doesn't seem to be a good reason for me to ignore 50-something years of experience working with these vehicles. "Your mileage may vary".  Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 | Just ordered a new resistor from Rockauto... $3.24. I'll put it in the toolbox I keep under the seat. The one in my truck looks original, 59 yrs old! I took it off and stripped about 15 coats of paint off of it, and a little wire brush work. Still works fine? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I like to travel with a set of small jumpers and a little VOM meter. I haven't used it on my truck yet but have helped other cruisers. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 217 | Yup, those free multimeters from HF fit right in the glove box! "One never knows" | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | beltfed: We might be talking the same thing but different? With the points closed and the key on with a voltmeter across the resistor you should see 6 volts if all is well. If the resistor is open, and that is how they fail, you will see 12 volts. If you put the voltmeter at the coil to ground you will see 6 volts if good and 0 volts if bad with the points open. If the points are closed, well you will see 0 volts cause you have a ground. Still, 2-3 dollars and a possible on the road fix is better than 20 dollars or so for a coil and no on the road fix. Just my way of thinking. Both will work. And both are as reliable as the other, I think. 
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | I love bench racing and keeping it friendly here goes....with points closed and one lead of the voltmeter at ground potential and the other on the feed side of the resistor you will read 12 volts not 6. If you move the voltmeter lead to the other side of the resistor you will read about 8 volts assuming you have a 1.5 ohm or so ballast resistor. If the resistor is bad(open) you will read "0". That is the important point..."0" volts on the downstream side of the ballast resistor means failure. The ballast resistor is in series with the primary side of the coil to reduce the voltage (current) to it in the run position. I think I have it right but never know. I have let the smoke out of many wires before! Maybe Hotrod Lincoln will jump in here and correct me.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | beltfed, sounds rite to me, except I think the "about 8 volts" is actually 9 volts  Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Yep! More than one way to skin the same cat..:) Across the resistor or + side to ground...Get the part or the whole circuit. + side of coil to ground or _ side through the points. 12 volts and "about" 8 volts if you measure from the + side or the _ side of the resistor. It does matter where the volt meter goes. However you do it will work as long as you know where that voltage is coming from and headed to. Volts and continuity. We are gonna make some one nuts with all this stuff. But hey this is fun!
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 9 | They still use glow plugs in diesels. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 246 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 246 | I read 5.58 volts how is the engine going to run on 6 volts when the coil says 12 v ? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 | I read 5.58 volts how is the engine going to run on 6 volts when the coil says 12 v ? You're using the wrong coil. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |