The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, 3800GUY, Swami29, Youngin' Tut 59, 1 invisible), 97 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,604
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#994054 12/21/2013 10:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
I have a 1948 Chevy ¾ ton and I want to change the rear axle to an E350 giving my truck more “giddy up and go”. After buying it I got it home and began to closely inspect it. I see that the yoke does not appear to be centered on the axle. Is this going to work on my 48? I know I will need to get different rims and remount the spring perches. I am concerned that the drive shaft will not align with the yoke on the E350.
Am I incorrect in saying that the yoke is not centered on the axle?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Solrak, welcome, I don't think driveshaft alignment will be a problem, the stock wheels may even fit the axle as well, but the idea of F@#d parts under a Chevy, it gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Won't be a problem. I'll bet that if you check, you'll find that original Eaton isn't exactly centered either. As far as wheels, the bolt pattern will be the same, but you might run into issues with the center bore. generally speaking, the GM trucks have a smaller index bore than the Fords, and have a similar difference in the hub sizes as well.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Wheels ought to interchange with no trouble, you'll know for sure when you try.

Driveshaft is not an issue other than checking length and adjusting as necessary.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
If the mixed marriage of a Ford part on a Chevy is disturbing, just keep in mind that the E350 housing is technically produced by Sterling.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Or if older it's probably a Dana 60 which GM, dodge, IH, and others also used


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I wonder how many Ford 9" rearends are under Chevy's. I also wonder how many Chevy engines are in Fords. Seems as though hot-rodders aren't necessarily brand loyal.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
I put the rear end from a 69' F250 in my 49' 3600. Worked out great. Had to weld up different spring perches and have the drive shaft shortened a bit and the U joint yoke changed to the match the F250 yoke. The pumpkin is offset like yours is. I have 3.73 gearing now and it runs great.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by Paul_WNC
If the mixed marriage of a Ford part on a Chevy is disturbing, just keep in mind that the E350 housing is technically produced by Sterling.
Unless it's from a dual wheel E350, it will be a Dana 60.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
The rear axle is a Dana 60. I would much rather just replace the "pumpkin" but I am not able to locate one and then it would probably be a 4:11. I don't have any plans on using the truck other than driving around town for fun.
I also bought a GM C&C dual wheel axle for its narrow with but it looks like a monster rear end and probably will not use it.
Thanks for all the impute and insight.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by Whitedog
Seems as though hot-rodders aren't necessarily brand loyal.

Nope. They are speed loyal.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
If your Dana 60 is a full floater, keep your 14 bolt hubs. You can use them on the Dana if you need to narrow it up. You'll have to have custom axle shafts made to fit though and change your wheel seals. Your Eaton HO52 hubs will work also, You'll have to change out the wheel bearings though and use custom shafts and different seal.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I think on the vans the engine sits over to the pass side a little so you might need to look at a truck rear end to be a little more centered,my 37 has some Ford parts on it too and might get Ford powered if I cant find a good GM motor to put in it. The only good GM motors I ever had were Olds or Buicks so when the 235 finally goes and I cant find a running nailhead or 49 to 58 Olds rocket a 300 six might go in.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
300 6, just plain wrong.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
The pinion being offset some is not a problem at all. The driveshaft will be fine if not parallel to the truck centerline. Here's a tech tip with resources explaining driveline setup, how to measure the compound angle, and how to figure the U-joint operating angle.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/driveline/setup/index.html

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0