Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,122 Posts1,056,331 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#99423 02/21/2007 3:21 AM | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 | Hey all, first electrical post. I have a question on switching out the instrumnet cluster on a 1960 C-10 from the idiot light type to full gauge type. My question is if I take the plug for the "Amp" light on my idiot cluster and plug it into the volt gauge on my new cluster, will it work? Also what would I need to convert my Oil idiot light to the Oil gauge. Looks like I need a tube but I have no clue what I need for it as in parts to hook the oil tube to the engine...HELP!-Danny
Thanks,as always -Danny
1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox 235,4spd 3.90 diff.
| | |
#99424 02/21/2007 3:52 AM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | The wire to the AMP light should go to the accessory terminal on your ignition switch. Is the gauge a voltage gauge or is it an ammmeter? The wire for it could also come from the accessory terminal if it is a voltmeter. | | |
#99425 02/21/2007 4:13 AM | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 | Well I can't tell what it is for sure. It's whatever the stock gauge is on a 1960-63 all gauge cluster. the gauge says "Batt" and has a D for discharge and a C for charge.
Thanks,as always -Danny
1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox 235,4spd 3.90 diff.
| | |
#99426 02/21/2007 4:14 AM | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 | the one thing I noticed is that the plug is the same for both types, gauge/idiotlight
Thanks,as always -Danny
1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox 235,4spd 3.90 diff.
| | |
#99427 02/21/2007 5:28 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You have an ammeter then and you won't use the idiot light wires for it. You'll need to splice it into the large wire running between the regulator and the battery post on the starter. This is assuming there is no terminal block on the truck.
For the oil pressure you need to see if it is a mechanical gauge or electric gauge. Either way you can't use the sending unit for the light. You say it looks like you need a tube. If it's a threaded fitting with a small hole in it, it does. Your local auto parts place or hardware store can fix you up with the tubing and fittings for it. | | |
#99428 02/21/2007 8:00 AM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | To elaborate on what Cletis wrote: the wire that went from the regulator to the battery post on the starter should now go from the regulator to the negative side of the ammeter. The same size wire should go from the battery post on the starter to the positive side of the ammeter. | | |
#99429 02/21/2007 3:23 PM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | You should of got the wire harness to with the cluster. The oil pressure is mechanical, you will need to run an oil line from were the oil sensor is. You will also have to replace the temp sender. Get a wiring diagram and check the difference from idiot to full gauge.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | |
#99430 02/21/2007 11:41 PM | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 | why would I have to replace the temp sensor as well?
Thanks,as always -Danny
1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox 235,4spd 3.90 diff.
| | |
#99431 02/22/2007 12:00 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the temp sender for a light only will be an "on-off" deal, the one for the gauge will be "variable", to indicate the full range of temps
Bill | | |
#99432 02/22/2007 3:27 AM | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 63 | Ah I get it, my idiot gauge did have a fuel and full temp gauge, but I understand where ya coming from
Thanks,as always -Danny
1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox 235,4spd 3.90 diff.
| | |
#99433 10/13/2007 9:10 PM | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 30 | How would you wire the amp gauge to an internal(2 wire) alt. And will the fuel, temp plug and play?
1966 C10 250/3 Stepside 1966 C10 327/3 Fleetside 1972 Buick Centurion 455/TH400 1964 Plymouth Valiant 360/A833 4spd 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury 440/727 I've got a new car....It was made in '72
| | |
#99434 10/14/2007 1:53 AM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | The only thing that may plug and play would be fuel. For the rest to plug and play you need to replace both the cluster wire harness and the harness under the dash. Your other choices are a new after market wire harness or find a wiring diagram and modify.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | |
#99435 10/16/2007 3:29 AM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 181 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 181 | I'm in the process of doing the same thing but I don't know what my 'guage' cluster came out of. One thing I am concerned about is whether it may have come out of a 6 volt rig. If so, am I going to fry the ammeter when I hook it up to 12 volts? My truck is a 1962 c-30 so what are the possibilities as far as the 'donor' truck being a 6 volt?
The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless! My 1962 Chevy C-30 | | |
#99436 10/16/2007 4:49 AM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | Not good, Chevy switched to 12 volts in 55/56?.
The AMP gauge won't care if it is 6 or 12 volts.
Everything that has been said previously still applies. Hopefully you can get back to the donor truck and pull the wire harnesses or have a wire diagram.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | |
#99437 10/17/2007 1:08 AM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 181 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 181 | I hate to say it, but the donor truck went to a crusher a couple years ago... That much I do know. 
The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless! My 1962 Chevy C-30 | | |
#99438 10/17/2007 4:48 AM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | Get yourself a wire diagram. My factory manual has diagrams for both idiot and the gauge dash.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | |
| |