The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (tclederman, Greg_H, WICruiser, Peggy M), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Hey all, first electrical post. I have a question on switching out the instrumnet cluster on a 1960 C-10 from the idiot light type to full gauge type. My question is if I take the plug for the "Amp" light on my idiot cluster and plug it into the volt gauge on my new cluster, will it work? Also what would I need to convert my Oil idiot light to the Oil gauge. Looks like I need a tube but I have no clue what I need for it as in parts to hook the oil tube to the engine...HELP!-Danny


Thanks,as always -Danny

1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox
235,4spd 3.90 diff.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
The wire to the AMP light should go to the accessory terminal on your ignition switch. Is the gauge a voltage gauge or is it an ammmeter? The wire for it could also come from the accessory terminal if it is a voltmeter.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Well I can't tell what it is for sure. It's whatever the stock gauge is on a 1960-63 all gauge cluster. the gauge says "Batt" and has a D for discharge and a C for charge.


Thanks,as always -Danny

1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox
235,4spd 3.90 diff.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
the one thing I noticed is that the plug is the same for both types, gauge/idiotlight


Thanks,as always -Danny

1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox
235,4spd 3.90 diff.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
You have an ammeter then and you won't use the idiot light wires for it. You'll need to splice it into the large wire running between the regulator and the battery post on the starter. This is assuming there is no terminal block on the truck.

For the oil pressure you need to see if it is a mechanical gauge or electric gauge. Either way you can't use the sending unit for the light. You say it looks like you need a tube. If it's a threaded fitting with a small hole in it, it does. Your local auto parts place or hardware store can fix you up with the tubing and fittings for it.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
To elaborate on what Cletis wrote: the wire that went from the regulator to the battery post on the starter should now go from the regulator to the negative side of the ammeter. The same size wire should go from the battery post on the starter to the positive side of the ammeter.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
You should of got the wire harness to with the cluster. The oil pressure is mechanical, you will need to run an oil line from were the oil sensor is. You will also have to replace the temp sender. Get a wiring diagram and check the difference from idiot to full gauge.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
why would I have to replace the temp sensor as well?


Thanks,as always -Danny

1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox
235,4spd 3.90 diff.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the temp sender for a light only will be an "on-off" deal, the one for the gauge will be "variable", to indicate the full range of temps

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 63
Ah I get it, my idiot gauge did have a fuel and full temp gauge, but I understand where ya coming from


Thanks,as always -Danny

1960 C-10 Stepside,Longbox
235,4spd 3.90 diff.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
How would you wire the amp gauge to an internal(2 wire) alt. And will the fuel, temp plug and play?


1966 C10 250/3 Stepside
1966 C10 327/3 Fleetside
1972 Buick Centurion 455/TH400
1964 Plymouth Valiant 360/A833 4spd
1964 Plymouth Sport Fury 440/727
I've got a new car....It was made in '72
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
The only thing that may plug and play would be fuel. For the rest to plug and play you need to replace both the cluster wire harness and the harness under the dash. Your other choices are a new after market wire harness or find a wiring diagram and modify.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
I'm in the process of doing the same thing but I don't know what my 'guage' cluster came out of. One thing I am concerned about is whether it may have come out of a 6 volt rig. If so, am I going to fry the ammeter when I hook it up to 12 volts? My truck is a 1962 c-30 so what are the possibilities as far as the 'donor' truck being a 6 volt?


The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless!

My 1962 Chevy C-30
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Not good, Chevy switched to 12 volts in 55/56?.

The AMP gauge won't care if it is 6 or 12 volts.

Everything that has been said previously still applies. Hopefully you can get back to the donor truck and pull the wire harnesses or have a wire diagram.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 181
I hate to say it, but the donor truck went to a crusher a couple years ago... That much I do know. eek


The only thing more amazing than my ability to cram 60 minutes of work into a 9 hour day is my talent for making it look effortless!

My 1962 Chevy C-30
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Get yourself a wire diagram. My factory manual has diagrams for both idiot and the gauge dash.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0