The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RoadsScholar, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#992626 12/15/2013 3:43 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 135
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 135
Hello....anyone have experience with 4x4 usage? I have a 64 k10. I'm expecting ill need the 4 wheel drive with all the snow we received. What is the protocol when driving in 4 wheel drive? If I'm running errands and the roads are bad, can I drive the truck in 4x4? is there a speed limit that I should not exceed while in 4 wheel drive? Any rules of the road would be appreciated. Everything is original on my truck and in working order so I'm concerned that I can damage the mechanics if I drive it more than to get out of my driveway. Thank John



1964 K10 Fleetside Pickup Truck
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Generally speaking, you only will want to engage the 4 wheel drive if the conditions are slippery enough to warrant it. If the roads are plowed and fairly dry, leave it in 2wd. Otherwise, you can damage the transfer case. However, you can go ahead and leave the hubs locked, that will not hurt anything. That way, should you need to engage the 4wd, you will only need to lock the transfer case itself. You may need to back out of the throttle bit if you have to shift from 2wd to 4wd on the fly. Driving it in 4wd on snow covered roads will not be an issue. As far as speed, in high range, there really isn't a limit, other than what would be a safe speed for conditions. In low range, you would want to watch the speed as you could over rev the engine. Unless you're moving a heavy load or perhaps pulling a stick vehicle out, you won't need to use low range.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 135
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 135
Really appreciate this direction.


1964 K10 Fleetside Pickup Truck

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0