The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#991474 12/09/2013 1:46 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Found a pair of these that are 8.5x17 10 ply. They have the tall, narrow look I want but not sure they would work in a truck application. The tread style is similar to the non directional military tires and the sidewalls look like the classic old bias tires with the diamond pattern on the sidewall. Would they be worth pursuing?


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I would not use them whatsoever.

First off, commercial/agricultural tires aren't meant for high speeds. They'd probably overheat and blow apart.

Secondly, They usually only run about 15 psi of air in them.

Third, they are made to flex. I would imagine in a turn they would be very unstable.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Good point. I found out they are radial too which wouldn't work for me. All I've found is a Tornel tire from Coker that fits my application. They have a traction and highway tire that are 34" tall. My other option is to ditch the 17" split rims which are in great shape and use some 16" tires on a set of modern rims I have. Just don't get the height I want in 16".


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
See if they're rated for road use and what the max allowable speed is, if that checks out OK I think you could use them. They may or may not wear well if not primarily intended for road use though.
They'll also have a weight rating and PSI on the sidewall, so you could answer that question too.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 197
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 197
You may want to check out 255/85/r16 tires; they are about as tall as 7.50-17's, but a little wider. It looks like you have plenty of room for them on your '46, and I think they'd look real nice.


Some of my crap:
1963 C-30 flatbed dually 292/SM420
1965 C-10 LWB fleet 250/column shift 3 speed
1965 C-30 9' stepside 250/SM420/4.10 gears (my DD)

Website I made for my crap:
http://www.66submarine.com

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0