The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (jmoore), 124 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,478
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#990312 12/03/2013 6:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
my 55 1 st. 3600 drivers side window goes up and down when I drive. when its up it will lower its self to about 2" above opening; and the other way around when down. I can also move the window up and down from outside the cab. I replaced the regulator that came with it because it didn't work. did I replace it with another non working regulator or do I need to adjust something?


1955 First series 3600 3/4-ton
"A Great Starting Point"
Follow the story and pix in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
It sounds like the spring is all wonky or out of adjustment. What location does it roll itself up to when it's down? Is it hard or easy to roll up and down?


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
the window goes up about 2" and it rolls up and down very easily


1955 First series 3600 3/4-ton
"A Great Starting Point"
Follow the story and pix in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
The spring is designed to help raise the window. The weight of the glass combined with the friction from the window channels should hold the glass in the lowered postion. Might want to check the spring tension, and see if your window runs are worn out?

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
the window also goes down when pushing from the outside. the passenger side seems to work the way I'd expect it to. if I push down, it seems to lock itself in place. I never had a car or truck this old but that doesn't seem right. Is there some sort of locking device that is not engaging. should I pull it out and compare it to the old one? (I still have it)


1955 First series 3600 3/4-ton
"A Great Starting Point"
Follow the story and pix in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
That's the first thing you should have done.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
Originally Posted by 46gmcpu
That's the first thing you should have done.
And you will also find out what's wrong with it in the last place that you look.
Anyone else have any 'helpful' tips to share?

Last edited by 52Carl; 12/14/2013 1:30 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
What is your replacement? Original used? or repop? The repops are simply not the same quality as original equipment.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Originally Posted by 46gmcpu
That's the first thing you should have done.
And you will also find out what's wrong with it in the last place that you look.
Anyone else have any 'helpful' tips to share?

I'm sorry for encouraging someone to troubleshoot their own problem instead of going straight to the internet before taking things apart to try and see what's actually wrong.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
Originally Posted by 46gmcpu
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Originally Posted by 46gmcpu
That's the first thing you should have done.
And you will also find out what's wrong with it in the last place that you look.
Anyone else have any 'helpful' tips to share?

I'm sorry for encouraging someone to troubleshoot their own problem instead of going straight to the internet before taking things apart to try and see what's actually wrong.
I was under the impression that the guy was intimidated about the complexity of inner workings of his door. They aren't exactly self-explanatory, nor easy to take apart. I reread my last response to your post and it reads a bit on the snarky side, which I did not intend.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0