Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,494 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 | I am thinking of buying a one and a half ton bigbolt to use for parts for my 3/4 ton pickup rebuild/restore. What are the differences in the 2 cabs? Is the ton and a half taller? It seems so but everything else looks the same. The parts I need are basically all cab-related. A second question could be - what will I do with leftover parts, etc. after robbing from the ton and a half? ..... I rarely see parts for the big trucks on e-bay so am guessing that bigbolt stuff/parts may be difficult to sell.
Thanks in advance, Lane Brigham
sweetpealane
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | What years, you speaking of ? Big bolt items would best sell on this site, in the "Swap Meet" section. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 | gosh, I am sorry .... they are both 1946 [I can't believe I didn't put the year] ..... thanks again in advance
Lane
sweetpealane
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Cabs will be the same, 1/2 ton, through 2 ton. Front sheetmetal different. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 | Spanky,
Will that mean the hood and grille will be different or just the fenders, running boards, and front bumper, etc.? I was pretty sure the cab was the same but wanted to ask you folks on stovebolt before buying it. I like it so much I really wanted to fix it up too but it doesn't have a title, not unlike many of the farm trucks out there. It was used for hauling cotton 'back in the day.'
Lane
sweetpealane
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 211 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 211 | The fenders have a larger wheel opening. Hood,grill all the same. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | If you're restoring your truck,you'd probably want to go with the smaller,(1/2-3/4-ton fenders. If you're going to change over to a 4X4,the larger fender openings,are a GREAT-looking addition,while keeping a "Stock" appearance. We installed '49 2-ton Studebaker fenders,on a '49 (Stude),3/4-ton. With the body-lift,and 44" "Monster Mudders",the 2-ton fenders look like the truck came from the factory that way! In my video: "Runnin 'With The Big Bolts"/"Photobucket".com.
Last edited by wetwilly5757; 11/29/2013 5:43 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 | Thanks everyone for the posts. The ton and half will be of value for sure. If it had a title I would fix it up too. I did that with my F**d 800 tractors .... bought two, one as a parts tractor, and as I robbed stuff off the one for parts I couldn't stand not replacing at a later and convenient time things back to it. I now have 2 good tractors.
Lane
sweetpealane
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 104 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 104 | If you aren't in a hurry with the 1.5, you should be able to get a bonded title for 3 years and then a clear title. You will need to jump thru a few hoops with the DMV, such as national VIN search and such, but it can be done.
1952 Chevrolet 6400 flat bed
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 | I didn't realize this was possible .... thanks for the heads up.
lane
sweetpealane
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 104 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 104 | Many southern states didn't issue car titles until the early 70's so you may be able to get one from a bill of sale...  Call your local DMV and see what they say about it... 
Last edited by Bigdreamer; 12/05/2013 8:46 PM.
1952 Chevrolet 6400 flat bed
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 21 | The fenders have a larger wheel opening. Hood,grill all the same. REALLY?? so the hood and grille on my 41 GMC 1.5 ton is the same size as a half ton?? What about he inner fenders and the radiator core support?
Vendor and manufacturer of the No name, No fin, No logo cast aluminum 216/235/261 Valve cover and Hold Down Knobs
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 97 | Hey 6inarow, After I get the thing here somewhere around Christmas I will measure things and look them over closely and pass on what I find.
Lane [aka sweetpealane because that's the road we live on]
sweetpealane
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 21 | Hey 6inarow, After I get the thing here somewhere around Christmas I will measure things and look them over closely and pass on what I find.
Lane [aka sweetpealane because that's the road we live on] That would be super. Shoot me a PM if nothing else
Vendor and manufacturer of the No name, No fin, No logo cast aluminum 216/235/261 Valve cover and Hold Down Knobs
| | |
| |