The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (FAST55, Hotrod Lincoln, Danielbolt), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#987681 11/21/2013 5:11 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
I have a 1953 GMC 1/2 ton pickup. The system has been changed to 12 volt but the start is still 6 volt. The starter is a foot push type. Lately I have been having a problem with the starter grinding when I step on it. I removed the starter, the gears seem to be fine but I noticed when you push the drive gear out by hand it does not twist like other starters. My question is, does the bendix drive on this type of starter supposed to twist as it moves toward the flywheel.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
I have a 6v starter laying around I will check it out and get back to you later today


1963 Chevy C30 - 292 I6 +.040" 10.78:1, SM465
1978 GMC K2500



"Four gears with a granny low and six cylinders straight in a row."
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
May be some wear in the fork/linkage that lets the button make contact before the gear is fully engaged.

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
No the gear fully extends. I believe the gear is hitting the flywheel without actually engaging because the drive comes straight out without twisting into the flywheel.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The Bendix splines are straight on the 6 volt starters.
The most common cause of your problem is wear on the teeth front point. I commonly resharpen the teeth.
You can see in THIS PICTURE how they are sharpened from the factory and how they wear.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
Thank you guys, I appreciate all the help

Last edited by dcm88; 11/21/2013 5:17 PM.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 61
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 61
I just replaced the starter drive in my '38 TD, and no, it doesn't 'twist' in.

Tom

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
Thank you

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
When My starter was acting up I went to ...NAPA... auto.
They had a refurbished starter on the self for about 80 bucks.


Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 11
thank you

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
I took a look at the 6v starter I have, it does not twist while the solenoid kicks it out. Spend some time with a file and reshape the end of the gear


1963 Chevy C30 - 292 I6 +.040" 10.78:1, SM465
1978 GMC K2500



"Four gears with a granny low and six cylinders straight in a row."

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0