The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, Forty9, Rusted Nut, 39Master85, BC59, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,376
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#987406 11/20/2013 1:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
So I began removing the hood on my '59 Apache this morning. I've never done this before but I had a shop manual and just winged it from there. Now as you'll see from my pictures that I do not a finished truck/paint job. So this process may differ for your application. I have a limited supply of tools so I just worked with what I had. And I was solo.

So here is a step by step:

1. Support hood with 2X4 and place carpet on cowling
2. Grab the handle of my floor jack
3. Place the open end of the handle on the hooked end of the spring
4. Give it a push and the spring should pop right off.
5. Grab a scribe
6. Trace around your hood hinge mounting plate
7. Check your hood support one more time
8. Remove upper hinge bolts
9. Place protector on fenders and lower hood down
10. Slide hood off front of truck slowly.

Removing Hood on '59 Apache

So I forgot to take a picture of the cardboard on the fenders. I used them as sliders to slide the hood off the front of the truck. Also that fancy hood spring tool that I used can be used to place the springs back on as well. I already tried it. Plus the handle was long enough to be clear of any possible danger (I guess you can use a long metal pipe as well). Of course if you have a finished project with nice paint you might want protect the areas around the hinge just in case the jack handle slips off. So there you have it. A hood removing process for a person going solo.



"Start living your dream now no matter what the sacrifice, and everything else will fall into place."
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
That's one way. Good ideas. I put 2x4's vertical on windshield eyebrow and down into engine bay. Drill two 1/8 holes thru hinge flange and hood mount. This is a good way to put back if you use two 1/8 drill bits then tighten bolts. If you clean or paint hood your scribe is gone. I pull backwards on the opposite end of spring in your pic with a chain and hook to release spring and install spring that way also. The rest is pad the fenders and slide like you said.
Welcome Los59. I think this is in the wrong forum though. This is the welcome section where you say hola.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
I'm having a hard time picturing what your saying with those 2x4's. I haven't decided whether I'm gonna clean up the hood or not yet. I like the chain idea though.


"Start living your dream now no matter what the sacrifice, and everything else will fall into place."
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
It's just a way to protect the windshield . Like you did. You don't want the hood to even hit carpet. It may still crack the windshield. So I stand up two 2x4's such that they don't touch the windshield. They touch the roof and the firewall edge kind of, that's all. The hood really does not slide toward the windshield usually, but it could. Your way is good because it worked. thumbs_up The chain idea works better on 58-59 springs.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
Oh ok I gotcha.


"Start living your dream now no matter what the sacrifice, and everything else will fall into place."
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Hi Carlos,
You're doing a great job!
One thing that makes the project exciting is thinking things through and problem solving.
Doing large feats alone are certainly proud moments!
Good for you and thanks for sharing your experience.
...ummm... I was fortunate enough to have my beautiful wife assist me in removing the hood. LOL
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0