The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (bucktruck, dt235sd, Stelonlevo, Hotrod Lincoln, Mike B, 1 invisible), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,648
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 42
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 42
Hi Guys I've got a 53 1/2 ton I bought out of California a couple of months back. The truck has a 350 under the hood and the rad is a triple core with dual electric fans (fore & aft). The PO has wired in the electric fans hot to the ignition switch so they run continusly while the truck is on. I was thinking I should get a radiator shop to sweat in a fitting for a thermo-switch to control the fans coming on and off seeing as I live in Canada and I don't need continuose cooling and it would probably be best to bring the engine up to operating temp. I just wanted to know if any other members had any thoughts on this.
Thanks

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 10
You should be able to thread a switch into a water jacket of the engine

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
Some thermal switches just mount to the cooling fins of the radiator, so you don't need any special fittings. You want the switch downstream from the themostat, otherwise it cycles too fast.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
How about hooking up one to a thermal switch-maybe in the port in the manifold-and put the other on a manual switch? Then you can use one as a primary cooling fan and only use the other when you really need it.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
look around I think you can get sw that fastens to rad core without much problem to run fans..doc

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I have a thermal switch on mine. Has a probe that just slides thru the radiator fins - no cutting or soldering req'd. Has an adjustable knob for on/off temps.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
there you go problem solved..doc


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0