The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, MRMEROTH11, JW51, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 35
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 35
Hi everyone. Long time Chevy guy but first time medium duty owner. I just recently picked up a 1965 C 60. Truck is in great shape body wise with very very minimal rust but does. have a few mechanical issues. My biggest concern at this point is the brakes. I have a pretty serious leak on the passenger side rear so I am assuming I have a bad wheel cylinder. While I am well versed in repairing brakes, I am concerned about the split rim wheels which I am pretty sure this truck is equipped with. I plan on upgrading to one piece rims in the future but for now I need to get the brakes functioning correctly. Any suggestions as to how to attack this as safely as possible?


1965 Chevrolet C-60 292 Flatbed
2008 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 Crew Cab
1992 Chevrolet C1500 Cheyenne 5 Speed
2001 Harley Davidson FLHT Electra Glide Standard
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy IHBoilermaker, welcome, if you intend to keep the truck then I would recommend a complete rebuild of the brake system. You already have a leak, so your braking system obviously needs repairs. I would repair or replace everything, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, hydravac, flexible lines and hard lines, and of course turning the drums (if they are not already oversize), and new shoes and linings. Don't forget new return springs and shoe hardware, not a cheap job, but better that you and everyone on the road around you are safe, hope that helps.

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 35
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 35
Yeah I'm sure all that will come in the future for sure...my main concern right now though is safely removing the rh5 wheels so I can inspect the brakes. Not exactly sure how to handle them. I'm nervous to even loosen the lugnuts or let the pressure out of them.


1965 Chevrolet C-60 292 Flatbed
2008 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 Crew Cab
1992 Chevrolet C1500 Cheyenne 5 Speed
2001 Harley Davidson FLHT Electra Glide Standard
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Letting the pressure out is easy, just remove the valve core, they can't blow if they don't have pressure. Once they are flat, do not reinflate them.

If they are installed on your truck the outer rear wheels are the only ones that can blow apart and send half of the wheel at you. The fronts and inner rears are on backwards and if they blow the rim goes towards the frame and not out into the shop.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0