The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wheelie, tclederman, Woodcmiami), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#980876 10/24/2013 12:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
I've had some trouble keeping manifold gaskets on my '46 235. I finally bought a good set of Fel-Pro gaskets and followed their detailed instructions. The truck has run very well until yesterday. I recognized the sputtering and lack of idling. When I got home, I took a wrench to it and was able to turn a little bit on all but one bolt on the donut gasket. Some moved very little, others got at least a quarter turn.

My question is: should I be putting Loc-tite or some similar product on the bolts to keep them from loosening? I've driven the truck a couple of hundred miles since putting the gaskets in. I do occasionally drive on the main road through town and open her up to 50 MPH, but usually stick to the side roads and keep it under 45.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Manifold gaskets seat in with a few heat cool cycles and will need to be re-tightened. You should not need Loc-tite.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Is there noticeable slop in the bolts/head? New bolts may be in order. I don't now if Loc-tite will hold up to the exhaust heat.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
I'll keep an eye on it. Just wondering if this was normal. Thanks.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
Loctite, no. Never-seez yes.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0