The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (46 Texaco, sron48), 146 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
I haven't seen a post on this yet, and I'm curious what my barely decipherable markings on my firewall might translate to. Appears to be a grease pencil/chalk/paint pen series of letters/numbers under the original Commercial Red. No big deal, but curious. Was this a code that an assembly worker could read to determine what options or color to paint the vehicle as it came to him down the line? Thanks!

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 433
Joshua, here is a couple of my firewall.

firewall 1

to install auto trans

firewall 2

3104 model

There was a similar topic some time ago.

Good to see you back here...

Michael


Last edited by healingbear; 10/17/2013 8:18 AM.

1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
They were marks made by the inspectors as the cab went
down the production line.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
I've seen similar marks on other cars and they seem smaller. A lot of perfectionists add these markings to their 100 point restorations to get more points.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Peter Klutt from Legendary Motorcars on used to enjoy putting those marks on his restorations that were shown on the Dream Car Garage TV show.

- Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I bought a parts 52' and you could see 4SP pretty clear on it I will look for it to post.

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
Thanks for the info. Maybe after I get all the 99 points of the restoration done(yeah right), I'll finish it off with the firewall writing!
Thanks

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
On the underside of my hood is written "transport" for the transport blue lower body color I assume. I have writing on the firewall under the voltage regulator but have not yet deciphered it. I have seen the markings like healing bear showed that spelled out different items on the truck. His "auto" for auto trans, "electric" for electric wiper motor, and such. Not very cryptic, I just assumed they were to guide assembly line workers on an ordered truck.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
On one of my parts it says Made in China!


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Must have your parts mixed up Bill, that one
belongs on you wife's new car.

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
there is a fella here in town, has a 50ish suburban that was originally an air force vehicle, and through all the restoration/modification has kept the air force stenciling on the firewall, it's not the same thing, but its kind of neat anyway.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0