The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Nick in Manitou, Cletus1950, HandyAndy), 105 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Ok, so I have a 54 Chevy Truck that I got from my Uncle. He said it was re-wired to 12v however I'm finding a lot of what he said "should have been fixed" wasn't really fixed on the truck. So, I've been replacing one thing after another and now I'm working on installing the alternator because my generator crapped out on me. I went to alternator shop and they sold me a 100amp chrome alternator. The rep said it was a one-wire alternator however it also has the tabs for a GM plug, so I'm not sure if this is really a one-wire, three-wire, or both???

Yesterday I was able to wire everything up and it seems to be working fine. Although, I did have to bypass my Ammeter (I ran a jumper wire from each pole) in order to get it to work. However, I've been doing a lot more reading and have been somewhat scared that my 100amp alternator might fry my current wiring setup and that keeping the Ammeter may be a bad thing down the road.

So, I'm not too sure if I wired everything correctly and/or if my wire gauge is properly sized for the 100amps. Eventually I might replace the Ammeter with a Voltmeter just like its done in the Tech Tips. For now, I'd like to rest easy that my wiring isn't going to catch my truck on fire or shock the life out of me. Any info is greatly appreciated.


Last edited by bobafet1; 09/30/2013 8:14 PM.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
Not too sure what your question(s) are, or name.

Not sure what ammeter you have, maybe you can tell us the range of the scale.

The links to the pics on my computer are not functioning.

100 amps is a lot an can cause a lot of problems. Old original wires can be hazardous. Does not mean you need to wire the entire truck, just alternator to battery.

You really do not need a 100 amp alternator, it's really for vehicles dual AC, electric windows, electric sun roof, trailer with battery and big wattage stereo/speakers.

So seldom will 100 amps ever flow through the wires except maybe for a short period charging a really low battery.

Sorry to say I think the alternator shop guy sold you much more than you really needed. And chrome, did you want chrome?

Mike


1951 Chevy 3600 rust bucket with GarWood dump bed conversion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeybs51chevy
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I think you fried your link..............not working for me


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Sorry for not being clear.

My questions are:
1. Will my alternator be too much for my current application?
2. Is my wiring correct

I'm sure #2 can't be answered until I can figure out how to get my photo links to work properly. I'll work on it.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
Original ammeter? Range of ammeter? Original wiring or did Uncle install larger wires and if so what gauge?

Mike

Last edited by Mikeybakken; 10/01/2013 3:12 PM.

1951 Chevy 3600 rust bucket with GarWood dump bed conversion
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeybs51chevy
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
You're still being moderated. Until you have more than 4 posts,your links won't work. Good questions! A friend has some electrical issues with his '59 Viking 60 bus,as well,and he's a journeyman electrician! Now if his bus was a 220/2-phase...L.O.L.


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
You're still being moderated. Until you have more than 4 posts,your links won't work. Good questions! A friend has some electrical issues with his '59 Viking 60 bus,as well,and he's a journeyman electrician! Now if his bus was a 220/2-phase...L.O.L. I'd think that your regulator,(built into alternator)?, would supply enough voltage to operate the essentials,without over-charging,or frying anything. But like Mikey pointed out-CHECK YOUR WIRING!! Replace any cracked/frayed wires! My '55 T.F. 6500,doesn't even have a fuse panel-YET! If your truck is "bare-bones",no radio,power accessories,then you may not have a fuse panel,either. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd at LEAST install an in-line fuse,between the alternator/battery.


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the alternator will not put out 100 amps [or even 50] unless the battery and accessories combined ask for it, an original 54 generator would probably have been rated about 35 amps, so likely about 30 is tops a stock truck would ever ask for, although there can be situations just after starting there might be a momentary spike

if you want to be totally safe, replace the main output wire from the alt to the battery with 10 gauge, and yes, replace the ammeter with a volts meter or put a shunt on the ammeter so it doesn't take full current

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
I was under the impression that converting to a 12v would mean you needed smaller wires rather than larger wires (I'm rewiring my '37), what critical information did I miss?
Also am putting on an alternator but it was given to me and I'm not even sure its stats yet.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Rae, you never "need" smaller wires, the heavier gauge used with 6V works fine with 12V and provides a margin of safety, the heavier the wire, the less it will heat up under heavy loads - especially if you're going to an alternator, which will likely have higher amp capacity than the old 25-45 amp generators .... and note that the smaller the number, the heavier the wire

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
Bill -

My current wiring is a rotted-cloth mess, I was planning on replacing it with either 12g or 14g wire at the same time I am converting to 12v. I didn't know that certain lines would need to be larger( aka smaller numbered, thicker).

If I pick 12g, would I be able to use that for everything, then? Is that a good all-purpose gauge for this application?

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Originally Posted by RaeOSunshine
Bill -
If I pick 12g, would I be able to use that for everything, then? Is that a good all-purpose gauge for this application?

The way I read this is, you plan to buy one roll of wire in one color and rewire everything. I hope I'm reading it wrong. If not, good luck getting it all connected to the right places and trouble shooting why it isn't working.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yeah, what Cletis says, you don't want to make everything the same color and gauge or you'll never be able to trouble shoot anything .... circuits are usually different gauges, from 16 to 10, depending on how much current they're expected to handle - assuming there's enough left of the originals, you should be able to tell which needs heavier or lighter, and most any auto or hardware store will have rolls 12' to 25' of at least half a dozen colors in different gauges - lighter gauge wire will be cheaper and fine for things like ignition and small lights, the more expensive heavier gauge is useful for the charging circuit, horn and headlights

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
There are charts on the web giving current carrying values for stranded copper wire sizes at various lengths. 6V wire is usually larger than 12V because the amp draw is twice that of 12V. Typically two sizes larger!
Note: when they calculate distance (length) they want you to include the ground return path thru the chassis for a total length number to use in the chart. Just double the wire length for that. Close enough for Gum'nt work.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
Okay, I knew the circuits needed to be different colors, I guess I just missed the memo about needing different gauges. Thanks

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
IMHO, it would cheaper and faster to buy a ready made replacement harness from one of the many vendors. I don't think you can buy all the different wire needed cheaper than buying a ready made harness. The harness are available for: Under hood, interior, exterior, or something like that. So, only buy what you need. They even make an underhood harness for 12v conversions. Simple.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
OK, I'm answering original poster. Getting confusing with several questioners. The Alt you have can be wired as one wire type by connecting to the spade terminals made for the connector and to the Big Pos lead. You need to read up on this, It really needs a sensing wire/bulb.
If your wiring is a rats nest or mostly in bad/old shape... rewire all. It's fun. I have done vendor kits and made my own. The make my own was same price as a cheap, no extras, low quantity circuit kit. Did it to get experience. I used Packard connectors and contacts and all good components. Old trucks have very little wiring and simple circuits. If your wiring is mostly good and a little bad, just buy wire and some crimped on components to spruce it up. Your wiring size and ammeter questions have been answered very nicely by others.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 12
I bought an EZ Wiring harness and my alternator is a one-wire...next is fab an alternator bracket and buy a new gas tank. Finally warm enough in the Midwest to go outside again!


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0