The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Hi all,
I am looking for a oil canister filter for my original Beehive. The ones I have found so far are to tall. Below is a list of the ones that do not work-

offenhauser
Purolator L20051

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u462/52Stove/FPOilCanister_52Chevy_zpsd7026f2e.png

Last edited by 52Stove; 10/03/2013 12:29 PM.

Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Speedway motors Item #91051006 and gasket #91015191G.
www.speedwaymotors.com

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Brad,
Thanks for the info however, I am not able to locate it. Speedway says no item found?

This is the one I purchased from them that is to tall...
QTY Item # Description Price l
1 56056404 OFFY BEEHIVE FILTER ELEMENT $12.99 $12.99


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Google search it that is the number that comes up when you do?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Replacement-Gasket-For-Beehive-Oil-Filter,24669.html

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
I called them and the one they have is 5inches tall. About 1/2 an inch to tall. Thanks Brad for the help.


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Looks like 91015191G

91051006 is supposedly the beehive filter element at Speedway Motors, but there is no item with that number.

Maybe this is the correct filter element?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
The correct oil filters are, the Purolator P51 or L20051. I find it at PepBoys. The newer number is the L20051. I think the P51 has been retired. Wix 51100 is also one that works, if you can find it. O'Reilly's carries Wix. The Fram number is C 4P. I think Advanced Auto Parts has the Fram number.
There is usually a gasket in the box with the filter. If there isn't, or the one in the box won't fit, let me know I can get a gasket that will work for you. Most of the time the gasket in the box won't fit. I have no idea why not.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
The Offenhauser from speedway is to tall tclederman, thanks for looking though.

6cylindersovertexas- The Purolator L20051 is the one in the canister and it is too tall also. It's the number the guy I purchased it from gave me but, oil pukes out of it.....The threads will start but it won't tighten enough to seal......


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
WIX 51010 is approx. 4 1/2H x 3 3/4W center hole 1/2". Maybe you could give us dimensions you're looking for or play around on the WIX website to find what you need.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=51010


Ed
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
The Purolator L20051 is the filter I use and have been using in mine for 20 years and it fits and works perfect, so I don't understand. The L20051 is right at 4-3/4" high, 4" in diameter and the hole is just a little over 1/2 " in diameter.
After seeing this, I can see the Wix 51100 would not work, but that's the number Wix says in their catalog and on line.
One thing that is interesting is that the rubber gasket in almost all of the Purolator L20051's that I have bought are not the correct size for the cannister. Every now an then there is a good one. I just keep reusing the one that fits, but there is another solution for that too.

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 10/04/2013 5:02 PM.

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Joe - Glad your's works good for you. Wanna buy a Purolator L20051 filter? :-). All I know is that I saw it leak oil over the side when it got started. My mechanic said he had to modify the gasket to fit my beehive.....Unless I do not have an original one? I have no way of knowing. It has a spring on the top lid? and the sticker on it says a Purolator N-16 will fit. So I found this link that referenced a replacement....Baldwin JC405, puchased it but, it's roughly the same height.....

http://p15-d24.com/topic/33619-purolator-oil-filter-cross-reference-please/



Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
So, it sounds like it's the gasket that isn't working. They have to be the right size because there is some pressure in that canister.
Don't need another - got about four in the cabinet - all Purolators - all L20051.
The gasket has to be the right size or it will not work. I ran into that myself.
Make a gasket out of heavy gasket paper so it is thick enough to "crush" when lid is tightened. Maybe that will work.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Thank you. I will pass that on. I have a few different filters so maybe we can find the right one (gasket ).

Last edited by 52Stove; 10/05/2013 3:05 PM.

Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Are the original beehives suppose to have a spring on the bottom? ( under the oil filter) ?
The one in mine is 7/8" round and 15/16"tall.

The closest filter I can find to fit is a Pure L20701.
It is 4" tall and requires two gaskets, with the top and bottom spring inside.

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u462/52Stove/Beehive_A4_OutletPatPend_zps2d173ca3.png


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
The beehive filter you have pictured looks exactly like mine. I actually sold that one and the new one on my truck (also an original unit) works just as well as the other did and looks just like it. It does have a spring in the bottom. The tightness of the lid is key. I have to put a short screw driver through the "egg half" on the top and get down on it good to get tight enough not to leak at that spot on the top - right around the "egg half". The original filters also had a small piece of metal with a little ball on one end that slipped into the tube that goes up the middle of the filter body. That small piece disburses the oil into a dribble and not a stream inside the filter. It is also a contributor to having the filter work correctly.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Thanks Joe. May I ask what type ( manufacture w/ model number ) of filter you use?


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Since day one, I have been using the Purolator - L20051. I bought about ten of them several years back, still have a few left. I guess they still make them.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
This is where I am confused. The one i use (L20701) is shorter than the L20051 that many seem to use.. How then will using a taller one will work, if the short one L20701 i am using barely fits? Does the L20051 mash down?

i found the below sizes from amazon=

L20701: 4.7x4.1x3.9 actual 3.5 (across the top)x4 tall
L20051: 6x6 x4.5

Are there any 3.5-3.75 tall?

Last edited by 52Stove; 07/10/2014 12:03 AM.

Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
OK - I just checked my stock of filters. I have five filters. All of them are Purolators. Two boxes have the number P-51 on the top of the boxes and three have the number P51-L20051. ALL of the filters have the P-51 number on the side of the filter itself. It also has a round ring which you use to pull the used filter out of the Beehive housing attached to the top of the filter. ALL filters are 4-3/4" tall and 4" wide. I bought ALL of these filters at Pep Boys because that is the only place I have ever seen them. I over buy because that's what I do especially if something like what has happened to you could happen to me.
So, It sounds to me like either something has changed since I have bought filters or the boxes you are buying are mis-marked.
What I can do in order to try to help you out and find out what is going on is go to my local Pep Boys and see what they have to offer in the way of a P51-L20051 since there appears to be something going on with this filter number. I'll check on it tomorrow and let you know what I find.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Is this the Purolator filter you are looking for?
old # P51
new # L20051
Filter
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I have spent some time on this project today. Purolator still makes a P-51 or L-20051. The ones I have are 4-3/4" high by 4" in diameter. I checked two Pep Boys and they did not have any in stock. Amazon shows them available, however they have different dimension on them. You might want to order one and see what size they actually are since I find it hard to believe the same number would continue with a size change. Seems odd to me, but what do I know. If they are wrong, Amazon takes stuff back with no problem. I did find a few on eBay with that are the size mine are. Advance Auto Parts stores say they carry them. I have cross referenced until I totally ran out of any type of number. Finally, I will say that am surprised. Five years ago Pep Boys had them at the two stores I went to today and another which I haven't been to but will check when I get a chance. At that time they always had three or four in stock. Strange.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Joe,
I measured my filters and this is what I got:

L20051 - 4 3/4"
Offy - 5"
Sock - 5.1/2"

So I think Amazon may be off on their measurements?

I am going to try a Wix 24949 at 3.4 x 3.4 x 3.2 inches. Again, Amazon so the proof will be in the pudding....


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
So, if the L20051 is 4-3/4" tall and 4" in diameter, that's the size of the five I have. They fit fine in my Beehive filter.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
Do you only use the gasket it comes with?
Or more than one?

I do appreciate your help Joe.


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I do use only one gasket, but the gasket size I have been using is not the gasket that has been included in the boxes with most of the filters I have recently bought. For some reason, the gasket sizes I have been getting are incorrect, but occasionally getting the right size so I just keep using it until I see it needs replacement. Of course, I hang onto those that fit, so I have a few. The filter issue is one thing, the other issue is the gasket, but one can always be made.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
love your truck!
I'm going to pick up the wix filter and try it....


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
From what I could find on the Wix 51010, it looks like it will fit. It is actually 4-3/8" tall by about 3-11/16" in diameter. That compared to the Purolator we have been discussing 4-3/4" tall by 4" in diameter puts it maybe a little small in both directions, but probably would work. Let me know how it fits.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I just received verification from a purchaser of a Purolator L2051 from Amazon that the size is 4-5/8 inches high and 4 inches in diameter. The Purolator P-51 was 4-3/4 inches high and 4 inches in diameter. With the use of the spring in the bottom of the Beehive Oil Filter canister, this filter should work great as the spring will push the filter up against the top after installed.
I think this is the one to go with, at least until Amazon discontinues offering it, which may be awhile.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 107
I agree. There are enough of the old style cans around for L2051 use.

I need to get off my butt and look at that wix 51010 though...

Thanks again for the help!


Take care,
Steven
No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0