Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
129
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#97573 10/13/2006 4:48 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | I have some wiring to redo under the hood that is in the black tape looms. Anybody got any input as to where I can get the original black tape? The glue on the original stuff seems to set up over time. It’s not the same as black electrical tape. Regular black electrical tape gets sticky and gooey over time and heat or any contact with oil just dissolves the glue. Also, I’m new to the restoration flock so I’m not really familiar with all the vendors, who are is the best ones to buy an original looking wire, sockets, connectors from? I tried ordering Randys electrical book from Amazon but they screwed things up with the $25 free shipping they used to have, looks like you have to get one of their CC in order to get free shipping now. Denny Graham
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#97574 10/13/2006 5:12 PM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | There was no glue on the OE stuff, they wrapped the ends back under itself to prevent unraveling. Some vendors carry it but I am not sure which ones, I just use high quality 3M Super 88 tape. Seems to be a lot better than the average stuff. Brian | | |
#97575 10/13/2006 8:18 PM | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | You can still get the wide loom wrap tape from and electrical supply. 3M makes some and it is about an inch wide.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | |
#97576 10/13/2006 9:27 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 | I re-wrapped the harness in my Chevelle, and bought the tape from Year-One. I am not sure what the web address is, but should be easy to find. This tape is OEM wiring harness tape, and it has no glue. It is friction tape, and it worked and looked just like the original. Hope this helps.
Mark | | |
#97577 10/16/2006 11:45 AM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Searched for 3m Super 33 tape and I found Scotch® Super 33+™ Vinyl Electrical Tape. This is just the plain old black electrical tape, it uses the standard rubber based adhesive that breaks down at 220F and will turn to goo in contact with oil. Found Year-One Mark, http://www.yearone.com/ and searched for "OEM wiring harness tape,tape, 3m, wire loom" came up empty on all accounts, ya sure that's where you got it from? Now I’m finding this stuff all over the Net! Brothers has it listed in their catalog, ¾ in x 50ft for $12, seems kind of pricy for a roll of ¾ in black vinyl non-adhesive tape. Eckler’s Classic Chevy, $10.99, looks like the same stuff Brothers has. Eastwood, “dry vinyl, two 1 in x 100 ft rolls for $9.99” (best deal and close to correct width, I think mine is between 1” and 1 3/8”). Looks like Eastwood’s gonna get an order from me this week. Thanks guys for your opinions Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#97578 10/23/2006 2:36 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Denny, I made my harness using a spiral wrap that conforms nicely to changing diameters. I bought the product a number of years ago at some Walmarts, while on vacation. Then I discovered that they were replacing the product with some garbage made in Taiwan. The good product was "Spiral Wrap" made by Micro Plastics of Arkansas. Their website is www.microplastics.com. The really crummy product is also called Spiral Wrap by Cargoloc.It is absolute garbage, in my opinion. I guess this is the way Wallmart handles some things. They seem to be a big seller of Fram products, also! | | |
#97579 10/23/2006 2:49 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | I think I know what your talking about Fred, a lot of the newer cars use it. I want to keep every thing original on this truck. It has everything in tact, including the original wire in their looms. Only problem now with the wiring is the ckt that goes back to the tail light. But that is really a minor project. With the woven black fabric wire loom, vinyl wire wrap tape from Eastwood and the cotton covered wire that I have found, and a few runs thru a mud puddle, the replacement should be undetectable from the original. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#97580 10/30/2006 10:43 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Try black hockey stick tape or bicycle handle bar tape. Both are cloth like the old black tape and have a light adhesive on the back. PICO which make electrical components have a nice loom which is flat black nylon-like and it comes in various diameters. The only problem is that you would have to run your wires thru before you put on the ends. Bill | | |
#97581 12/19/2006 3:24 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | Denny: Did you use the Eastwood's tape and how did it work out? | | |
#97582 12/20/2006 6:25 AM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Nope, probably won't get to that part till sometime next year. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#97583 12/20/2006 10:33 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | ok. I ordered a couple of rolls just to see if and how it works and matches the original loom. I'll let you know how it works out. | | |
#97584 12/21/2006 3:09 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | All righty Virginny, we’ll let ya be the Ginny pig on this one. All kidding aside, I would like to know how their product performs. I have mentioned on the forum before that I would like to see more consumer reports on the vendor’s products. If each one of us didn’t have to learn the hard way about a bad product it would save us all a bunch of time and money. Also prompt the vendors to improve on the quality of their products. Let us know how it works out. While we’re on the subject I always wondered how the ends are fastened if there is no adhesive on the tape, looks like they tuck it under the last lap jount, but is that all that holds it there? Same thing applies to the wrap, even with a half lap I would think that the seams would open up, unless of course you can keep it REAL tight all the way through to the last tuck! Does the factory have a little secret that we don’t know about?? Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#97585 12/22/2006 1:26 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 15 | Denny, I found the part no. for the OEM wiring harness wrap from year one that I posted a couple months ago...go to http://www.yearone.com/ and under the search by part no., type "HWRAP"..they have it, it is $14.00, and i comes in 3/4", 1", and 1 1/4" widths. Good stuff. Been on my Chevelle going on 5 years now. Mark | | |
#97586 12/22/2006 12:47 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | I haven't tried it yet but the eastwood tape does seem to be sticky. I've wrapped a couple of pens with it to see if it sticks. It seems dry on the outside yet sticks well to itself and the inkpens. I'll try it on the truck in the next few days and report back. It does seem as if would be a good match with the cloth loom that I've already installed. It has to be a 1000% improvement over regular electrical tape! | | |
#97587 12/31/2006 5:07 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 |
"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real" "Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe" 41 1/2-ton, a work in progress 68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
| | |
#97588 12/31/2006 5:43 PM | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 55 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 55 | | | |
#97590 01/06/2007 12:31 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 |
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | |
#97591 01/06/2007 1:13 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | I agree there are cheaper rolls(cost) out there. I just happened try try the eastwood version. I think it is important that we keep costs down too. | | |
#97592 01/06/2007 6:22 AM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Jim, first one is a Self-fusing silicone repair tape, looks like strips of thin innertube. Second one is "MANCO FRICTION TAPE Cotton cloth utility tape" Neither one is what we have been talking bout here. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#97593 01/06/2007 7:11 PM | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | I like the cycle/hockey tape idea. Easy to find & being a black water resitent cloth, it would do well and look pretty close to original. May have to use that myself! 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | |
| |