Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,510 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | I need to add a passenger side mirror to my '52. It seems there are two arm styles: mostly straight and curved/bent. Which is correct/mostly correct? Or, is it a matter of taste. Does one over the other make the mirror easier to see? Also, which mirror is mostly period correct: large rectangle or round?
I think a black arm is period correct in '52 due to the limit use of chrome, but I think I will go with chrome anyway as it looks much better. Opinions? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 | Hey Dave, it all depends on the body type you have(flatbed, wrecker etc).Most of the pick ups around here have a curved,small, spot mirror. I put stainless, below eye level (rectangle) mirrors on my '53 6500 wrecker because I couldn't see with that small, vibrating, spot mirror on a long arm.I don't think they look too bad at all.
Wanted Good Woman: Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | Thanks. I was looking through the catalogs more and figured out that the curved arm is for the passenger side. Straight for drivers side. My truck had the rectangular mirror, but I think I will go with the small round mirror (for looks sake only). I think you will be right about it vibrating too much. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 | < CLICK > Recent post on mounting the mirror - Lonnie
- Lonnie My '54 3104Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt. OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | Yep, I agree with you that black was probably standard. But, I am not going for a totally 100% authentic restoration. But, any changes I make from 100% authentic can easily be undone (or set right) by any future owner. With that said, I think chrome will look better to help offset the odd chrome/SS bits that were original such as headlight bezels, door handles and windshield divider.
The other reason is that I don't know what sheen is on the black arms and then I would probably have to sand and paint to match what I am doing with the vent window frames, running boards, and wheels (gloss catalyzed single stage urethane black paint). | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | Awesome information, thanks for posting link! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | If you are just adding a mirror you may be interested in this. I haven't read all the material here but in one of my service update bulletins it advises to put shims between the brace and the cowl if there is a space. Failing to do so could bend the cowl. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | Thanks. Oh yes, I have a big space on the drivers side (and the cowl was bent when I purchased truck, but no longer. I am not sure how you would get any shim behind the plate. I was contemplating filling the void with Plastic filler. I will have to take another look. | | |
| |