Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Otto Skorzeny, Charles in CA, LAROKE, Wally / Montana),
137
guests, and
6
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,221 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 | Hi, I installed an aftermarket turn signal w/e-flasher on my 54 3100, it 6 volts still. It worked great for about 2 weeks. Now, none of the lights flash when turn on to. The lights light up like they should, but they don't flash. I suspect it to be a bad flasher, is this correct? Why would it only last 2 weeks? It is fused.
awk | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | awk: 6 volts uses 2 times the current. My best guess is the points in the flasher are burned. Try a 6 volt flasher maybe for an older V.W. if you have a shop in your town that caters to them. If the lights are working there should be enough current to make that flasher work If it won't then the flasher is bad.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Oh by the way, 12 volt flasher will flash quite fast with 6 volt lights in the circuit. There is a "bi-metal" strip that warms up and pulls the points apart. More current will heat it up faster. Fuse protects the wire. 6 volt has big wire. so that flasher is the weak link.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 | Hi Steve, That for the reply. Yes, when I turn the left or right turn signal on the light light up, but they don't flash. I'm picking up a new 525 flasher today.
Thanks, awk | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 | Steve, Maybe I'm missing something, I am using a 6 Volt Flasher and I do a have a fuse in the circuit. The fuse is obviously good.
awk
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Not missing a thing just a bad flasher. Some "kits" come with a 12 volt flasher so I just thought that might be what you have. Let us know if it fixes the problem.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 | OK, cool. I'll try it tonight. Got a cruise tomorrow night so would like it to work right.
Thanks, awk | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 45 | Steve, Installed a new 6V flasher last and everything is OK. Just don't know why the other one went out, it was only 2 weeks old.
awk | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | My best guess? China, no I am not beating a drum here just poor quality control that is all. I am old enough to remember when Japan sent lots and lots of very cheap stuff to here. They got better but they had management that cared. Metallurgy and poor controls are a combination not to be messed with. Points arc, bimetallic strips get hot. Bad materials equal FAIL.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Electrical parts are famous in reliability circles for their penchant for infant failures. Testing can fail them, and they offer little or no warning ahead of failure. I agree with Steve though they don't build them like they used to. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 56 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 56 | I used to have lots of problems with flashers and then I started buying electronic h.d. Flashers that solved the problem, but they were expensive , but they lasted a long time. Pat
1966 Chevy C 30 1 ton truck
| | |
| |