The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#965664 08/21/2013 11:19 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
I am replacing the rusted out battery box, and I want to use a new 12v battery that is somewhat stock in size and appearance. It looks like the size is close to a Group 25 (about 9 x 7 x 8hi).

Trouble is, seems like most 12v batteries have the posts very far outboard compared to their 6v cousins. In fact, the lip on my all-around hold-down cover would touch both posts. Not good.

So, apart from grinding out a safety zone in the hold-down, what other options are there? Is there a reasonably priced battery that will fit w/o modification? Thanks.

Harry

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 134
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 134
Here's what I did.

Battery hold down

Originally I intended it to be a temp solution but I kind of like how it turned out. Cheap & simple.

That's a 96R battery in there. Battery Specs

Last edited by chadkiser; 08/21/2013 3:20 PM. Reason: added link to battery specs
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
I use an Interstate MT-26 in my '54 3104 converted to 12v. The dimensions are smaller than an original 6v batt for the truck. Only 525 CCA. Not a lot of freezing / cold start weather in Central FL, so that works OK.

Interstate 12v batt specs and dimensions

Eventhough the terminals are on top of the battery, the cable connectors touch the reproduction battery top retainer. So I used an angle grinder to remove the area of the retainer that touched the connectors.

chadkiser - That's exactly what I did to hold the battery in my '54 before I adapted the retainer. Painted mine black to satisfy my obsessive personality!

- Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I use a 12V Optima in my '54. They can be had with the posts in either configuration.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I ran into the same issue as you so made this hold down from an extra 7/8" wrench. Tacked a couple washers on the ends, works great.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/9576949509/

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Brad,

Too bad you could not find a long enough 1/2" & 9/16" combination that could be held under the washers/wing-nuts. That would have potentially more useful?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Yeah maybe keep an eye out at the swap meet for one.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Thank you all for your valuable insights and comments.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0