The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (burgundybolt, Hotrod Lincoln, wilbur53, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
What's the best way to protect 6-volt gauges now that my 49 GMC 1/2T PU is converted to 12 volts?
I understand that resistors don't allow for changes in the gauges' amperage load.
I have heard of using transistorized voltage regulators like those at Radio Shack. I've got schematics for using a V-R on a heat sink with capacitor buffered input and output, a resistor for regulating it at low load, and a transistor for beefing it up. I'm not sure how many regulators the gauge set needs. Anybody have any experience with these?


Never start vast projects with half vast ideas.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
Get yourself a Rutz resister from one of the venders and install it on the gas guage and save yourself some trouble. Thats the only guage you need to worry about as the 12 volts will take it out. Been there done that.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 100
Thanks, Fat Fenders. Saves bucks, time and headaches. I'm for that.


Never start vast projects with half vast ideas.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I ran my 55 1st panel for years (over 100K) after converting to 12v. I ran all gauges at 12 volts and never had a problem. All I had to do under the dash was change the bulbs.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0