The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Charles in CA, Bill Hanlon, fonz8261), 109 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,474
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#963338 08/13/2013 7:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Well due to a rocker rod hitting the line it has a good wear mark in the line.

Any tricks on replacing this line. I noticed that coolant started to drip when I loosened the fitting in the block end.

So I see this line goes through the block to the oil distribution on the other side.
Diagram oil line

Part I will need

What am I soldering?

Last edited by BSCowboy; 08/13/2013 8:14 PM.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well cowboy, hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you've
disturbed that oil line then you're going to have to replace it
from the oil distributor-thru the block-and up to the rocker
arm shaft connector. The seal thru the water jacket is made up
with compression fittings and once they are disturbed bout the
only way to fix it is to replace the whole line.

I think most of us here have made that very same mistake of
messing with that line before we discovered how it was
installed.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
yes, they are a one time thing, but the good news is they are cheap and easy to replace. Most of the vendors have them, I got one from Jim Carter, and I made another one. It will become apparent what to solder when you do it. However I soldered the other end from what that drawing suggests, as that is how the one I took out was done. It is also apparent it will work both ways. The one I got from Jim Carter was already soldered.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
yes getting from Jim Carter. I have no leaks or oil in water or water in oil. just the line has been worn by the rod. not much room in that side panel for much.

seems like a common occurance rod rubbing that oil line.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0