| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 34 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 34 | I got a new fuel pump for my 55.1 Model 3100 and the position of the inlet and outlet for the fuel lines on the new pump don't seem to be right. The existing pump routes the lines parallel to the engine block, but the new one wants to angle the inlet line away from the block and angle the outlet line towards the block. It seems unlikley that it would accept my existing fuel lines. I have confirmed that the new pump is listed for a 1955 Series 1, and the various catalog listings don't mention a variation in fuel line positions.
Are my existing pump and fuel lines incorrect replacements? Do I need to replace the pump to carb line and maybe the tank to pump line too?
Or should I just find a pump with the same fuel line position as my existing lines? How do I make sure I get the right one? Go to NAPA and make them show me diffent pumps?
Thanks!
Trooper Jeff
Last edited by Trooper Jeff; 08/09/2013 1:48 PM.
Trooper Jeff If I can't drive my truck, fetch my horse "Courage is saddling up even though you are scared to death" - John Wayne
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | The pump lines for trucks run parallel to the block. The pump lines for cars come out on a slight angle to clear the motor mount that is on the side of the block near the pump. You can bend the lines to line up with the car pump. I had to do that with my 235 w/powerglide car engine in my 3100.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 1,232 | Trooper Jeff -
I believe that you have the correct pump for your 55.1 truck. The pump was changed in the early 50's as Carl noted, but it was used on trucks too. Don't know when the switch from glass-top to metal-top was made. I don't know of anyone that supplies a line with the correct bend for pumps with the 20-deg angled ports. I bent the pump-to-carb line for my '54. Was pretty easy. I left the old mangled tank-to-pump line on the truck. May bend a new one someday.
FYI - GM supplied a 20-deg fitting to adapt the new pump for older trucks.
- Lonnie
- Lonnie My '54 3104Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt. OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 34 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 34 | For anyone trying to address this issue, I spoke to the folks at Jim Carter and found out that they have the original truck style pump, metal top with the fuel line ports with no offset. My new pump just arrived and it looks good. Should be able to install it with no fuel line modifications. Can't wait to find a few minutes to bolt it on.
Trooper Jeff
Trooper Jeff If I can't drive my truck, fetch my horse "Courage is saddling up even though you are scared to death" - John Wayne
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Also don't forget, you can rotate the bottom housing on the fuel pumps to reposition the inlet and out let.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |
| |