The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nick in Manitou, Bill Hanlon, moparguy, Peggy M), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95690 05/23/2006 3:12 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
I finally resolved my right side blinker issues on my 59.
I took off the center grill section to see what the heck was in there and I didn’t find anything. After I wire brushed the mounting bolts and reinstalled the grill, they magically re appeared. So now I just need to replace the indicator bulb in the dash. I guess it helps when the signals are grounded.

Anyhow my new rear LED's look great on my flat bed. Nice and bright!

I was thinking about adding a ground wire from the blinker housing to the frame on the front signals. Anyone went this route on a 58 or 59?

Also the turn signals are blinking really really slow, Will a new turn signal relay speed things up? I have a signal stat on the column Is the relay built into the Signal Stat?
I saw a small cylinder shaped abject that resembles a flasher relay under the dash, I am assuming this is the one to replace.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The leds will make a thermal flasher operate slow. They don't have enough resistance for the flasher to operate. Replace the flasher (the round cylider) with an electronic unit.They aren't operated by circuit resistance. I got mine from Auto Zone, but you should be able to get them from any parts store. I'm running leds on the front and rear and the electonic flasher works perfectly.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
So long as you have a real lightbulb in the circuit somewhere, there won't be an issue with the blinkers. I have real light bulbs in the front end, and I'm thinking about replacing my tail lights with LEDs. So long as I leave the front lights alone, the existing flasher will work as advertised.

On those aftermarket deals, the flasher is a seperate unit. They're too big to put inside the housing.

If you make the swap on the front end, too, then yes, you will need to use the "electronic"
flasher unit.

How slow is slow? 2 fpm? 1? That's a normal rate. In my experience, fast flashers generally mean that they're getting ready to die. A slow flasher is usually a good thing. If it's TOO slow, there may be a ground problem somewhere. Is it the same speed on each blinker, or does it differ?

The ground wire from the housing to the frame won't hurt anything, and may prevent future problems. Go for it.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
It's about a 1 and a 1/2 to a 2 second blink. And it was like that with all incandescent bulbs.
I just know some stupid CA impatient commuter hybrid or rice rocket racer is going to slam their car into the rear of my flat bed and kill them self, just because they don’t see my blinker within .00001 seconds. I probably wont even notice it when they hit me. There are a bunch of morons out here.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Okay, that does seem a little on the slow side.

Try a different flasher. The '59 should be 12v (I'd be REALLY surprised if it weren't), so any old flasher should work. They aren't usually very expensive, either.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 336
Thanks guys!
I went with the Electronic flasher and the slow blinking is gone. It was actually slower than 2 seconds a blink. All is bright and fast now. My rear 4" LED's are super bright.

And to top it all off…The new electronic flasher was made in "the good old" U S of A


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0