The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#955659 07/10/2013 4:13 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
I used Boyoconners' Tech tip. I used a 1/2 inch bolt about 4 1/2 inch long. The head of the bolt slides into the frame and spring eyes with no interference. The shoulder on the bolt head will not pull into the bushing at all. Why change from the 3/8 by 6 carriage bolt that he suggested? Cause that was what I had after I broke my only remaining carriage bolt. The larger bolt allowed me to apply torque with no worry about breaking the bolt. Four bushings removed with no problem. Work? Yes. Problems? No. Nice use able Tech tip. Thanks. Putting the bushings back in was just as nice. New cut flat washers protected the bushing as it was pressed into the spring and frame. With the bushing pressed into place I used the pipe fitting to center the bushing in the frame and the spring. Simple, effective and safe. I did use liberal amounts of anti-seize to ease the new bushings and make it possible to remove them if needed at some later date. Now, I just have to figure why the springs don't line up square with the frame. It appears the springs are "toed in" to the frame. This pulls the shackles out of alignment up and down. Now should I look at the "U" bolts on the axle? Still need to pull the rear pivot bushings on the spring. I don't see any damage or bending under there so still hoping this will cure the lurch. Any ideas to look for? Thanks again.


Steve H
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Oh yeah, 52 1/2 ton front springs. My bad.
Thanks again.


Steve H
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Update of a sort: Put a wrench on the "U" bolts and ..broke one of course. But just letting that one loose did remove most of the mis-alignment in the springs. so that is the next thing. More money and more work..Happy guy under his truck. smile
Steve


Steve H
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Final update. I pulled the rear pivot bolts and bushings. Found the Lurch. Pivot bolts are oval not round. Bushings were in pieces. Cleaned up the spring eyes with no visual damage. Pressed in new bushings with some anti-seize. And reassembled. Wander is gone.Lots of grease was in there so this is just a lot of wear? I think it might be a good idea to check the rear springs now. Thanks for all the help on here.


Steve H
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Thanks Steve


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0