The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (BC59, cmayna, Peggy M), 144 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#953959 07/02/2013 5:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
Curious what everyone is using for rear end ratios? Since the old under powered trucks had to make it up with low gears. Problem is that makes em pretty slow on the freeways. Has anyone upgraded the axles or can you still get ring and pinions for the larger trucks?


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
the ashton is a 8.81 low range and a 6.33 in hi
i dont know what the dump is but its close to the ashton.
the 40 is a 4.56

Quote
Problem is that makes em pretty slow on the freeways
i can exceed what the lowest speed is by law. i run the majors every chance i get. if they want to run up my [censored] then they'll know what gear i got as they're pulling my gears out of thier teeth grin

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
My Fire Engine has an Eaton 2-speed with 6.14/8.36 gears and will run low 60's all day long. I have 11.00 x 22.5 tires and it's powered by the 322 V8 with a 4k rpm governor.

My tow truck has the GM 2-speed with 6.40/8.72 gears and will run 65 mph. It has 10.00 x 22.5 tires, it's powered by a 350 sbc without a governor.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
What kind of RPM are you running Mike. On my firetruck and I assume its geared same as yours at 2500 rpm I am about 50 miles per hour.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
The gears in my truck are not stock to 1957...I swapped them in when I got the truck and I have no idea what they were in originally. The junk yard had lots of truck third members hanging on a rack and I found this one that fit my rear housing making it an easy swap.

I'm turning about 3500 rpm at 65 mph. If I push it to 70 I start bouncing off the governor which is set at 4000 rpm.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0