The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
I'm not sure if this should be here or in the engine section.

I have a '59 235 in my '50 1/2 ton, I rebuilt it several years ago, starting last summer when its in the upper 80's & 90's outside its like it runs out of gas every once in awhile, could it be because of it vapor locking? If it is, what do I need to do to correct it?

I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem, I have the heat riser adjusted so it never opens to heat the intake.

I have a Carter 964s carb on the original 216 intake & I do have a problem with it also, for some reason I can't open the air/fuel needle valve, it runs better with it closed. I'm open for suggestions.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

It looks like your fuel line plumbing is in the normal locations. Vapor lock is most likely not your problem.

It sounds like you should start by checking out your carburetor.

Ask questions, be methodical, be patient. You'll figure this out.



Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
I'm with Tim. It sounds like you have a couple of issues. 1st, I just rebuilt a carburetor,(per instructions),for a '58 viking 60 bus. The initial tune of the air/fuel needle valve,calls for turning it gently,until it "bottoms-out".Then it calls for the screw to be turned-out 1-1/2 turns. 2nd,I installed a set of "Fenton" headers on my '55 T.F. 6500,and it didn't run properly,until I purchased the "heat" kit. In you case,I'd re-adjust your heat-riser,so it does open,allowing the fuel to vaporize properly. To prevent vapor-lock on my truck,i have a wooden clothes pin clasped between the fuel filter,and the inlet tube on the carb. I haven't had a vapor-lock issue,yet. If these steps don't help,it may be time to re-build your carb. Kits are readily available,and the process is fairly simple. the main purpose is to get the inside of the body CLEAN,CLEAN,CLEAN!!I re built mine,and 2-weeks later,it acted like it was starved for gas! One small speck of debris,half the size of a pin-head,lodged between the accelerator pump body,and the check-ball beneath it. While you're at it,it would be a good idea to use compressed air,and blow-out all of your fuel lines.(From the tank to the pump,and from the pump to the carb.) This will help keep your fuel filter cleaner,for a longer period of time. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 06/22/2013 11:22 PM.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
I would try wetwilly.s advice first , if that fails May I ask you what degree thermostat you are using? A few years ago when I was running a 180 or a 195 degree thermostat, I had "Short of gas" symptoms, changed to a 160 degree and poof, problem gone. Jerry



Jerry

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0