The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, frogfarmer, Cletus1950, Wally / Montana, greenie-reddy), 152 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#946566 05/29/2013 10:07 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
New to the forum. Just picked up an 1949 4100 1 and 1/2 ton short bed grain truck and need to work on brakes right away. The truck has duel wheels. Can anybody help with a source for brake shoes, wheel and master cyclinders?

Big "B" #946603 05/29/2013 12:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Welcome aboard. Napa is a good place to start, find a counter guy that goes for the paper books.
I have had the best luck with commercial brake supply outlets. Find one in your area they will be able to reline your shoes. It is best to pull the drum and hub then remove the backing plate as an assembly. Take that assembly and drum to your bake parts supplier so everything can be identified.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Big "B" #946638 05/29/2013 3:51 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
Thanks for the advice. I tried NAPA over the phone but my guess was the guy just checked the computer inventory. I will try again and make sure they check the book next time.

Big "B" #947087 05/31/2013 5:38 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 90
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 90
If the whole backing plate comes off couldn't you replace that with a disc setup from a different truck or am I just wishing it worked that way.

Big "B" #947167 06/01/2013 12:00 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Also Aleretta truck parts they are great and helped me with all my brake questions.

Big "B" #947194 06/01/2013 4:42 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
That's Alretta Truck Parts in Framingham, Ma. (508)788-9409. Ask for Geoff.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Big "B" #947745 06/03/2013 6:41 PM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
BigB Send me a PM -- I might have a set of wheel cylinders (NIB) to fit your truck. I got them for my '49 ton and a half and then switched to a different axle. If yours has it's original single speed axle, we might be in business.

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
How do I send a PM

Big "B" #949700 06/11/2013 7:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,177
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,177
Originally Posted by Big"B"
How do I send a PM
You can't until you're out of moderation. Once you've posted four times, you'll be able to PM.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Big "B" #949805 06/12/2013 9:14 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
I think I really got lucky. The husband of a gal I work with is a retired truck mechanic and they just moved close to my farm. The guy is in to old grain trucks as well. Looks like I may have a good resource to help with my '49 4100 1.5ton restoration.

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
I will PM you as soon as I am out of moderation.

Big "B" #949842 06/12/2013 11:57 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
you can get your wheel cylinders and master cylinder re sleeved here http://brakeplace.com/ fair price and quick turn arounds. ive used them a couple of times, if you call ask for rob. any big truck shop that does cluth and brake relining in your area can perform these services.

Big "B" #949953 06/12/2013 6:06 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I'd definitely check with Geoff, at Alretta Truck Parts. Several of us here have used him for our Vintage Bolt brake needs , & he's had everything readily available. Even knows the part numbers by heart. They specialize in truck brake parts.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 6
Thanks for the tip on Alretta Truck Parts in Framingham, Ma. (508)788-9409. My Mechanic was able to find front wheel cylinders for my 49 1.5 ton Chevey 4100, but could not find rear wheel cylinders. He suggested re-sleving both existing ones for $400.00. I contacted Alretta and spoke with Geoff. He new exactly what I needed (I hope) and got them in the mail that day for $81.00 each. I guess we will see if they are the correct ones soon.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0