The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Just want to know before I go this way...it is an expensive mod.

Yes, my 4 speed has the granny first...basically too low to use. If I go to a 3.38 or so in the diff, will the tranny gears be at proper ratios for good driving at both low and higher speeds ?... What gear ratio diff would be best ?


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It will improve in all the gears as long as your engine is running good. The specialty gears for that model are 3.55.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Yeah, I guess I knew it would improve all gears but just wondered if the resultant trans gear ratios will be good/correct for the rpm's ....likely a silly question...again...;)


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Dogface,

If you want to know about change to ring & pinion gears in a 47-54 3100 torque-tube rear-end, the only conversion that is available is a 3.55 R&P set.

I have that conversion in my Suburban, with an SM420 4-speed. First gear is still too low, except when I need it with a full load (a full set of 7 passengers).

The big advantage of this setup is the the ~15% decrease in RPM in high gear. Also, if you install the bearing/bushing installation kit, you will most likely experience a much quieter cab.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Tim mentions many great points. I too have the 3:55 gears and with the overhaul kit makes for a completely different truck. Much quieter.

Depending on where you live, if you have hilly roads or larger and an original 216 it can make it under powered on longer grades.



SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Dogface,

Will you be running an original 216?

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
No...my 235 from a 56 ....but you knew that since I just bought that intake set up from you wink


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by tclederman
If you want to know about change to ring & pinion gears in a 47-54 3100 torque-tube rear-end, the only conversion that is available is a 3.55 R&P set.

The standard ratio for a 1954 was 3.9 and will fit right in.
It is not a huge improvement over the 4.11 but can be a little help.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Dogface,

Yep, I knew what engine you have - a 216 was commented-on, so I thought you should let folks know. I am looking forward to seeing your driving report.

Sorry, I did not mention that 4.11 to 3.9 option (of course, Dave is correct - thanks for the correction).

That ~9% gain from going from 4.11 to 3.9 is about what I got going from 3.9 to 4.11 (my only option). I gained about the same % by switching to 16" high profile radial tires.

You'd need the 1954 3.90's ring-gear carrier. I'll give you a 3.90 R&P and carrier for the cost of shipping, but I'd recommend going all the way to 3.55.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Thanks Tim, but I'd go to the better option. It won't be all that soon. I have spent a lot in a short time so far. My truck is ok for now ...even on the Hiway but won't do much on the interstate where I'd get blown away....it's a real free for all on I-80.


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0